Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts
Hello

I'm new to this page.. and new to morels. Can someone tell me where to look. I've done research online. Last year I went out looking but no success. I was looking around dead trees and stuff. By a water source kind of. I have no idea what I'm doing. I know what they look like. Nebraska morels has a Facebook page so I just wait for someone on there to give the green light. Any advice would help. Thanks

Discussion starter · #25 ·
kingyoshi2424 welcome to the page! Best places to look seem to be around dying elms. Really any wooded area is worth checking out. Look for trees that are newly dead, basically trees that are in the process of losing their bark and ones that have only been dead for a couple years. Being near a water source also really helps. People tend to do well near rivers and creeks. A dried up river or creek bottom with trees in it can lead to huge finds. Also make sure to check the hills once you get late into the season. Best of luck!

Yea I found some dead elms and some other dead trees. I found some other type of mushroom which I don't think was edible so I know at least that's it's a good environment to support mushroom growth I would assume? Is it time yet to start looking it was 78 today in Omaha.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I am going to go out and look tomorrow afternoon since we are in the 80's today and should see some heavy rain this evening. Ground temperatures are running in the upper 40's now. After the 80's today they could be pushing lower 50's which is prime for mushroom growth. I doubt finding anything tomorrow but I would give it a shot anyway. You never know until you scope it out.

Yea its supposed to be 66 degrees in Omaha tomorrow and lower 70s this week and we got some good rain tonight. Nice thunderstorms....I wonder if they will be popping up soon. I have a spot where I know there has to be some. Lots of dead elms. I might go looking tomorrow. I've just heard varying reports saying it's to early still. They been saying wait another week or so. I have no idea. Lol

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Nice chrsman! I'm going out this afternoon out by the Platte. Soil temperature is running around 50 now, getting closer to prime time growth condition. This weekend should warm up back into the 70's so we should all start looking by early next week!

Discussion starter · #39 ·
I'm headed out to check on Monday shroomwinkle. Still might be a tad early. I believe soil temperatures are holding in the mid to upper 40's. I am hoping the 70's we see Sunday will be enough to get them popping by early next week before another cool down comes for several days. Atleast we have the moisture in place now.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Was out today on the Platte in Central Nebraska. No shrooms. Lot's of moss growing though and some nice dead and dying trees to check once the ground warms up a tad more. Anybody else have huge issues with the thorny trees that are everywhere near the Platte? Those things are absolutely terrible. I tried to cut a few out today but there are just too many. I don't know what they are called does anybody know what I'm talking about? Some sort of tree with big thorns covering it. Looks like the tree version of a rose bush.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.