Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts
They are all over the property I hunt here in south east Nebraska we had a few down the road from where I grew up in Oklahoma I remember that we used to find green tree snakes in them all the time they make good fire wood my father in law was allergic to there thorns if he got poked by one the local area would swell up I swear everything in Nebraska has thorns I counted ten different types of plants with thorns in my hunting spot last here

the locust suck for mushrooms also,they tend to take over an area and I have never picked a morel around one dead or alive. I drive by patches of timber that are full of them unless there is a real good reason to stop.There is another type of locust that has huge thorns to. I cannot think of the name maybe honey locust. Good reasons not to hunt after dark. I am down here a little SE of you guys in NW MO, no shrooms here yet or to small to see. How far west on the Platte are you king93? You ever get up on the Loupe River? I went through a Conser. area on it 30 years ago that was loaded with elm and cottonwood. Used to have a relative that lived on it, but they passed some years back. She used to pick a lot of morels out of her back door.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Hey kb, the place I hunt is just East of Grand Island. I actually have not hunted on the Loup, but I plan on traveling up there and following the season to get an extra week of good hunting in May. I have heard good things about further East on the Loup around the Norfolk area. Might have to give that area a try. The area I hunt by the Platte has some really promising soil. The sandy loam is abundant. There are also plenty of dead or dying trees. The Locust trees are all very young just starting out. They aren't taking over the entire woods yet, they are mostly on the edges of the forest nearest the river. I still have to wear pants and long sleeves when I go out otherwise I will get cut up pretty bad.

king93, well it seems you are close to where I was years ago. Just north of Grand I. there is a little town called St. Paul. The spot was a little east of the town near where I think the two Loupe Rivers converge. Said 30 years ago I would get back and hunt it. Looks like you are my best shot.

Well it was an April mornin' wet and warm
Seventy degrees after a thunderstorm
I stuffed a breadsack in my back pocket and I headed out for the woods
I seen a couple kids spittin' off'a the bridge
So I slipped along the fence-line and I low-crawled the ridge
But when I seen those footprints, buddy I lost all sense of right, wrong, bad or good

It's the mushroom war!
I hereby declare it and I'll tell ya what's more
Those scum-suckin' slime buckets leavin' those stumps
Are goin' down for sure
You can beat me to my fishin' hole, there's plenty of fish
But when you start takin' fungus off a good ol boys dish

It's time for the mushroom war!
Well I heard some voices thru the trees
Just'a laughin' perty as ya please
They were haulin' out my harvest in some fancy burlap sack
I sat right down, took off my socks
Filled 'em full of walnuts and some heavy old rocks
Then I took off screamin' towards them mushroom thievin' demons
Lookin' for some heads to crack

It's the mushroom war!
Thain't the kinda mushrooms you can buy at the store
Them slick-chicken patch-pickin' low-life slugs
Are messin with my spores
You can rob my garden blind late in the night
But touch my morels and ya best be ready to fight

It's the mushroom war!
I came up on 'em like a wild-man and said
With both socks swingin' above my head
If ya wanna see tomorrow boys ya better drop that bag right there
Well one of 'em tried goin' for a stick layin' near
So I popped him with my sock-o-rocks upside of his ear
His ear popped, the bag dropped, his buddy took to runnin'
Guess I made myself real clear

It's the mushroom war!
If ya think ya want my mushrooms well ya better think some more Snake-bellied, brain-jellied, timber-trackin-cleptos ain't somethin' I'd ignore
You can take my dog and turn him into mexican food
But pullin' up my poppers, well now that's gettin' rude

Well that's my story and it's all true
Except for the beginning and the rest the way through
But ya gotta admit those footprints have made ya feel that way before
Well keep your good wool socks on your feet for the snow
But keep a spare pair around close cause ya just never know
When you'll be in for a mushroom war!

Went and checked all my early spots in nemaha county north of Indian cave the red buds were boom in and the dandelions are out but no morels I walked bout 2 miles altogether lots and lots of moss everywhere but not much under brush no may apples no ivy and just a little grass guess its still gonna be a while

Anybody seen a morel yet this year hear in Nebraska/Eastern Neb.? Ive been out a couple times now to see if I'd be lucky this soon,but nothing. Please say something if you've spotted anything yet this year anywhere in Neb. Thank you,Jay "monboyzz1979"

I've checked a total of 3 times this spring, with the last time being Wednesday afternoon. Nothing yet in my earliest spots. The signs are still behind the times. The lilacs are still a week out from blooming and the mayapples are just a few inches tall... Still might go out to patrol this afternoon!

Good to hear that the woods are showing all the signs. Morning soil temps for southeast nebraska are back down to mid to lower 40's. Hopefully they havent been pushed too far back. I have morel dreams and they are driving me mad! Cant wait for the first "confirmed" find in nebraska! Ill be heading out Sunday to my Early spot down south, but honestly until Lori starts finding em in thayer Co im not going to bother. :)

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie hunter who lives in Lincoln. I've never found any here (mostly search wilderness park) and I never see posters talk about finding any in Lincoln. Are there any good spots that are near Lincoln? Thnks

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.