Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these on a tree while hunting yesterday. Wondering what they are and are they edible. I am in Middle TN. Thanks for any help. It was on a hackberry tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I found these on a tree while hunting yesterday. Wondering what they are and are they edible. I am in Middle TN. Thanks for any help. It was on a hackberry tree.
Look like "golden" or "yellow" oyster mushrooms. Very good to eat, hold up well when long cooking, I like to make cream of mushroom soup with the ones I get up here in Wisconsin. Look them up on internet and compare what you got to that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
These are regular oysters. The yellow oysters do not grow in the wild in the US but spawn can be purchased to grow your own. The yellow oysters do have moreflavor than the white to off white wild ones. The oysters that look very white in hot weather can look off wite to grayish in winter. Winter oysters don't usually have the insect infestations that summer ones have.
I don't find much flavor in the wild ones but they take introduced flavors well such as garlic and butter or on soup as has been stated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
These are regular oysters. The yellow oysters do not grow in the wild in the US but spawn can be purchased to grow your own. The yellow oysters do have moreflavor than the white to off white wild ones. The oysters that look very white in hot weather can look off wite to grayish in winter. Winter oysters don't usually have the insect infestations that summer ones have.
I don't find much flavor in the wild ones but they take introduced flavors well such as garlic and butter or on soup as has been stated.
They most certainly do grow in the wild. Find them all the time. Here's a beautiful bunch from last spring.
20200522_164325.jpg
20200522_160931.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I stand corrected. I was told years ago by someone who sells spawn for them that they were from another country. Where exactly did you find them. (Morels) LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts