Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks. I'm just getting into 'shrooming in PA, and could use some help with identification. Found this on a fallen tree. There were several dozens growing in clusters. White polyspore white/pale yellow on top.Very light tan/yellow on bottom.
white shroom.jpg
white shroom.jpg
white shroom II.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Looks like an old chicken of the woods to me. When they get past their prime they lose their color, eventually becoming completely white. But, make a note of the location of that tree, and go back earlier next year. You might find a nice flush of chickens. I found a brand new chicken log this year. I know it's brand new because I've been hiking past it for years, and never saw anything on it. This year, I spotted the chickens from about 80 yards away, before I got anywhere near the log. Don't know how long it will last before the log is played out, but I'll enjoy it until it does.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like white cheese polypore to me also. I've neverseen or hear of a "chicken" with light tan bottom.If it was a chicken that turned white on top it would also trun white on the bottom. Most chickens show some sort of brancnihg but these pics don;'t show that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts