Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found these today on a standing dead elm. They look like oysters but are yellow.....? Only have seen white and brown oysters before. Then I though honey mushrooms but I would guess its too early for those? Gonna do a spore print. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Found on dead wood 1-2 feet up the tree off the ground
Gills run down stems
Yellow caps with white stems
Stems all come from one main base

PICS:

·
Registered
140 Posts
First of all, let me congratulate you on your photographic skills! This is a puzzler. After a quick check through Audubon and Kuo's 100 Edible, some clues matched, and some pointed elsewhere! Definitely have to do a spore print. Whatever they turn out to be, that's a freakin' gorgeous 'shroom whether it's edible or not!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks buckeye.... Got about 4 pounds of it. Trying to post a full picture now if my email would cooperate. I think it has to be a Golden Oyster. Nothing else seems possible. Doing a spore print now but do not have any black paper only white which may affect the outcome of the print.

At least I know it is not a death angel or deadly galerina. I think it is a golden oyster and they are just not that common that is why I am having a hard time identifying.

Emailed a couple experts with pics we will see..... Ohio mushroom society and Michael Kuo at mushroomexpert.com.

J

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha just got my email from Walt Sturgeon:

"This is Pleurotus for sure. Looks like Pleurotus citrinpileatus which is usually a cultivated species."

I was pretty sure but Walt has confirmed it. I knew it was different than a regular oyster. Big thanks to Walt Sturgeon at the Ohio Mushroom Society- https://ohiomushroomsociety.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
582 Posts
You can buy them in Mushroom Growing Kits. Most likely got away and is growing wild. There is a gal, Celticcurl, that had pictures of them too. She found hers last Spring. I saw you posted this on Michigan Morels. She had her pictures on there too. Most likely this is not as bright because it got bleached out from the sun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts