Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Need Help with Identification

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  deleted 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Somewhat of a newbie here, and first time poster. I've been hunting very casually for a couple of years, and I keep finding these mushrooms around where I grew up. They grow like crazy in one of my spots, and I'd like to make sure that they're not going to kill me :)

I'm pretty sure they're half-free, but some of them look like verpas. None of them have any spider-web like fibers in the tube and all of the tubes are hollow all the way up to the top of the cap.

Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yep, those are half-frees. You can tell by how they are attached to stem half way up on cap, and as you noticed no cotton like fiber inside. Verpas have the cotton, and are attached at very tip of cap. Should be fine to eat, but I've heard some people can have adverse reaction to, so best to cook one up, taste test, and if no indegestion after a day, should be fine to go ahead and eat all you want.

#5 ·
Hello All,

Somewhat of a newbie here, and first time poster. I've been hunting very casually for a couple of years, and I keep finding these mushrooms around where I grew up. They grow like crazy in one of my spots, and I'd like to make sure that they're not going to kill me :)

I'm pretty sure they're half-free, but some of them look like verpas. None of them have any spider-web like fibers in the tube and all of the tubes are hollow all the way up to the top of the cap.

Thanks for your help!!
home run pal...chow down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.