Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Toledo, Ohio... Northwest Ohio & Southeast lower Michigan.
I've been hunting morels for years but know nothing about identifying other mushrooms. I need to buy the most relied upon soft cover handbook for novices.
I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,
If you're serious about trying to learn mushroom ID please join a club. Books can only go so far. The Audubon guide shows lots of basic info but has mushrooms from all over the country with many you won't find in Ohio or many you find won't be in the book. It does help to learn the various parts and thier names and possibly to get to the Genus. There are regional guides recently made. Many older books have names that have changed due to new DNA work, etc . Here's a link to a club in Ohio. Ohio Mushroom Society I don't know whatp art of the state it's in butthere may be a closer one in an adjoing state. Look at namyco.org -under clubs, which are listed by state.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Ohio Mushroom Society is in Chardon in the northeastern part of the state. And that's namaco.org. You know what? Forget that! Just go to North American Mycological Association. I just googled the namaco thing and it did nothing for me. Also, you can just google around for a state or local mushroom clubs. For instance Ohio has the Ohio Mushroom Society, and I know a member from the local area is quite prominent in it. Some of these clubs hold forays where everybody bring in the best specimen of everything they find, and the top dogs identify them, and tell you whether it's edible or not, and how good it is. There are a lot of mushroom that will not poison you, so you can eat them, but they are not really all that tasty!

·
Registered
70 Posts
namyco.org is the North American Mycological Society. It has the link to the Ohio Mushroom Society as A NAMA Associated club A post says to forget namyco.org and theOhio mushroom society and then says to go to the same site (NAM)A and promotes the same society.l HUH??
Walt Sturgeon is their mushroom guru and is an author of a great field guide and one heck of a nice fellow. I've known him for well over 20 years. There are lots of mushrooms that can make one ill but most are temporary. It' is very important to have mushrooms identified in person and to learn any and look alikes or look 'similars'. Even then one must save an uncooked sample and note any side effects. Some can eat a certain species while another may have side effects from the same species and batch. Just as some have ill effects from eggs, peanuts, etc, some have effects fro0 a species of mushroom that most can safely eat. I've seen many bad ID's made form books since "most" of the listed characteristics are correct but one or two may not be just right . ALL listed characteristics MUST MATCH!!!! Even the very good experts sometimes look in several different books, etc to make certain of an ID and sometimes even then use a microscope for some of the less common species. I feel confoident to eat over 50 species but usually eat 4 or 5 types. Some others such as Hericium or Coprinus I eat but it is not common in my arewa or I'd say I eat 6 or 7 species on a fairly regular basis.

·
Registered
903 Posts
namyco.org is the North American Mycological Society. It has the link to the Ohio Mushroom Society as A NAMA Associated club A post says to forget namyco.org and theOhio mushroom society and then says to go to the same site (NAM)A and promotes the same society.l HUH??
Walt Sturgeon is their mushroom guru and is an author of a great field guide and one heck of a nice fellow. I've known him for well over 20 years. There are lots of mushrooms that can make one ill but most are temporary. It' is very important to have mushrooms identified in person and to learn any and look alikes or look 'similars'. Even then one must save an uncooked sample and note any side effects. Some can eat a certain species while another may have side effects from the same species and batch. Just as some have ill effects from eggs, peanuts, etc, some have effects fro0 a species of mushroom that most can safely eat. I've seen many bad ID's made form books since "most" of the listed characteristics are correct but one or two may not be just right . ALL listed characteristics MUST MATCH!!!! Even the very good experts sometimes look in several different books, etc to make certain of an ID and sometimes even then use a microscope for some of the less common species. I feel confoident to eat over 50 species but usually eat 4 or 5 types. Some others such as Hericium or Coprinus I eat but it is not common in my arewa or I'd say I eat 6 or 7 species on a fairly regular basis.
Yep! That's the guy! n\Never met him, but have read postings by him, and he seems very knowledgable. And, like I said before, I tried those other links, and they went nowhere! I finally managed to search around and find their website. As far as being "exact" in your ID, yes, that is very important! God only knows what would happen if your ID was totally off. That's why I basically stick with the safe ones. I am in no way interested in discovering what edible Amanitas might live in this area! Let me see if i can find a video that fits this topic.

There you go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts