Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Colorado native, born in Fort Collins, raised in Wisconsin. I moved back to the area last summer and am getting that spring morel itch.
I have a couple questions for the experienced foragers in the area. I have a couple burn areas eyed up, but they are a few years past prime from what I've been reading. One is a burn from 2012, is this worth investing much time in? I am also wondering if Aspen areas are worth investigating if not associated with a burn sight?
The recent years burn areas I have found by searching the internet are a couple hours or more from where I live, which is Pierce. These are a little tough for me to get to, with working 6 days a week and all. Any pointers on places to try close to Fort Collins would be appreciated, not looking for your spots, just burns I don't know about. Any tips on where to get good info on locations of recent burns would be appreciated as well. I've been hiking areas along the Poudre Valley, and am familiar with Roaring Creek, Grey Rock and Gateway park.
P.S. Any ramps to be found in the state?
P.S.S. I would love to meet up in Fort Collins or Loveland with somebody for a hunt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cottonwoods along the poudre are good. High park fire prob winding down but if you going to look I’d head over to red feather area. Big for two years ago near Waldon (beaver creek). Forest service just burn creedmore lakes this spring and there was morels there before they burn so only going to be better. Junkins Fire south west of the springs last fall. Lost solar fire over by Rangely last summer. Several other fires near that one but smaller. Owens lake fire near Laramie three years ago might still be popping a few. Think that should get you started. Also find recent thinning or logging units on the pondo they flush several years after they cut them look hard in skid roads or drag lines and animal trails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts