New Morel here. Looking for Central NJ meetups this spring

Discussion in 'Regional Meet Ups' started by hughmura, Apr 12, 2020.

1. hughmura

hughmura Young Morel

Would love to meet up with some experienced hunters in Central NJ (I'm in the Princeton area) and learn specifics about these delicious mushrooms...typical locations, etc. No need to share your honey hole...just wanted to learn from someone with a seasoned eye
    Happy hunting, Spring 2020.

LilacTime likes this.
  2. legend of longbrew

legend of longbrew Morel Enthusiast

NJ Mycological Society does a lot down your way

3. rjcsr11

rjcsr11 Young Morel

I'm in Monmouth county. Heading out for the first time today probably working my way North and try to scout some good spots. I've been studying morel habitat and associated trees. Would love to share resources and maybe take a morel foraging hike

4. LilacTime

LilacTime Morel Enthusiast

Hello, I just found this forum today. I am in Central New Jersey not far from Princeton and this is my first year hunting too. I would love to meet up with some experienced hunters to learn more, so if you find anyone who also shares the interest and wants to form a meetup, count me in !

5. LilacTime

I headed out on my own for the first time last Friday. I’d love to find some people to hunt with. Some places are not safe to wander into alone. I have been researching habitat and associated vegetation too. Sounds like a great idea. I think the best thing is to go out in small groups at first. Not only for safety in numbers, but you learn from each other as you go. Next year there’s enough time to seek out your own secret places.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  6. LilacTime

I would love to be included in that, let me know if you do that. Because time is very short for the season here and I don’t want to head north alone. I think it’s a great idea. Would love to join any expedition you organize, It’s such a great time to be outdoors and we can keep social distance and still talk over that distance

7. LilacTime

Yes, I recently joined thier Facebook page. I’m so disappointed that their May Forey was cancelled...I had planned to join them.

8. T-NJ

T-NJ Morel Enthusiast

Let me know when you're going out. I am not good with tree types, just random finds. Would love to scope out some new area.

9. Eschr

Eschr Young Morel

I’m in Monmouth county! New to the area, does anyone know if they grow in the soil so close to the beach? I am from Ohio where I have my honey spots for hunting but haven’t the foggiest if I’m spinning my wheels here. Would love to be included!