Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the Eastern part of Nebraska, and live in the country. I've got some wooded area around, I have been walking it for 3 weeks and no luck. Any tips or ideas on finding the little buggers would be great!!

Registered
I'm in the Eastern part of Nebraska, and live in the country. I've got some wooded area around, I have been walking it for 3 weeks and no luck. Any tips or ideas on finding the little buggers would be great!!
Welcome to the Forum @B007 ! Learn to identify some trees. Particularly elm, cottonwood, sycamore, apple and ash. Recent fallen, dead or trees shedding bark worth a looksey around. Lowlands, River bottoms creeks ponds & some rocky areas hold more moisture if needing rain. Telltale is an area with good amount of moss on groundcover. Liliacs starting to bloom, 1st & 2nd lawn mowings of season, dandelion going to seed, aswell as ground temps being around 54degs are all indicators its morel season. However you may check the woods whenever. Scout areas for trees, summer/fall mush or just to take in nature. While doin this take note of potential morel habitat. Check this wonderful site out for an abundance of info. Read past years threads in your state aswell as other states. Members are Great and You can learn lotsa pointers and an idea of the years progression of the fungi. Well @B007 keep searching. Even other areas if yours doesn't produce this year. Dont get discouraged some years can be nil but other years lodeful! I wish You Well! Happy Hunting & Fill em sacks Full!! 馃崉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I've been identifying trees as I go. And learning more about the habitat of the morel. Thank you again for your reply and information!!!

Welcome to the Forum @B007 ! Learn to identify some trees. Particularly elm, cottonwood, sycamore, apple and ash. Recent fallen, dead or trees shedding bark worth a looksey around. Lowlands, River bottoms creeks ponds & some rocky areas hold more moisture if needing rain. Telltale is an area with good amount of moss on groundcover. Liliacs starting to bloom, 1st & 2nd lawn mowings of season, dandelion going to seed, aswell as ground temps being around 54degs are all indicators its morel season. However you may check the woods whenever. Scout areas for trees, summer/fall mush or just to take in nature. While doin this take note of potential morel habitat. Check this wonderful site out for an abundance of info. Read past years threads in your state aswell as other states. Members are Great and You can learn lotsa pointers and an idea of the years progression of the fungi. Well @B007 keep searching. Even other areas of yours doesn't produce this year. Dont get discouraged some years can be nil but other years lodeful! I wish You Well! Happy Hunting & Fill em sacks Full!! 馃崉

Registered
Check out a website on You Tube called "Learn Your Land". They cover all aspects of mushroom, as well as morel, hunting that is out there.
I went to a foraging event and was standing next to this guy who was chatting with someone else. I'm thinking 'man, this guy looks REALLY REALLY familiar' but I wouldn't know anyone around here. It was Adam! He does (did) speaking appearances. He's also at Learn Your Land with Adam Haritan Great guy.
Talking with his band a few years ago
and playing drums here

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out a website on You Tube called "Learn Your Land". They cover all aspects of mushroom, as well as morel, hunting that is out there.
Thank you! I will!
I went to a foraging event and was standing next to this guy who was chatting with someone else. I'm thinking 'man, this guy looks REALLY REALLY familiar' but I wouldn't know anyone around here. It was Adam! He does (did) speaking appearances. He's also at Learn Your Land with Adam Haritan Great guy.
Thank you

Registered
Not sure where in E. Nebraska you are but I make trips from Texas to the NE/MO. border every year. I only hunt on public lands and have pretty good success over the years. I've been hunting Morels since I was a you boy with my dad, it's been a pastime I absolutley enjoy. I plan to be in the Falls City area early next week. I'll let you know how I do. Note: The folks on this site do a pretty good job of giving out accurate information. Hope you find a pillow case full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts