Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to this site I'm on another site that's mostly about ginseng but there'sa tab on mmushrooms. But most experienced hunters on morels r from the south. I have 218 acres of mostly wooded area made up of mostly elm ,ashred oak and some poplars , maple ,cherry,white pine. When should I start checking for morels? Also my beef cowshave it for pasture but not for another 2 ta 3 weeks all depends on how the grass ggrows. Will this effect the growth of morels? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thxs

·
Registered
32 Posts
hello there, it's a wee bit early in my area. I'm gonna start looking around May 1st.
Speaking of ginseng, don't you need some kind of license to sell it in NY?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in Saratoga Springs and people in my area generally start posting finds the last week in April or the 1st week in May. I havnt seen anyone near me with them yet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lithic u do need a licence to sell ginseng out of ny state. But not if ur selling it to a dealer in NY.
Jcumo I've been cutting wood n haven't seen any yet . i live in gouverneur bout 30 miles north of Watertown. Leeks just started to pop up. I'm hoping I have some morels on my land so I don't have ta travel around to look. I get some great puffballs in late August. Had so many didn't know what ta do with them. But my girlfriend n I Lov mushrooms n trying to expand the wild ones we eat. But I'm ever so careful cause Iknow tthere's more posion ones than good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in the Northville area,i will start looking in about 2 weeks,hoping to find a few more than last year,which totaled 13,enough for 2 meals,luv them morels,i have put the word out,anybody with an abundance of them,willing to trade maple syrup for some,even this year was bad for ta,made50% of what i usually make396 gallons made

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hobler, you're lucky to have elms.I'm in schuyler co. and they're rare. Most of my finds are under ash trees or ash are nearby.The last two years I found my first morels with a week left in april but those were mild winters and the climate close to these lakes tends to be a bit milder. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lynkage I go down to the glen during hunting season nice country down there but ur right I don't recall seeing many elms. My land is 80% elms. I just hope I've got morels too. Thxs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone finding any around Carthage or Watertown? I've been looking in Beartown State Forest with no results the last couple nights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts