new to hunting morels need a little help

Discussion in 'New York' started by hoblershang, Apr 20, 2014.

1. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

Hi all new to this site I'm on another site that's mostly about ginseng but there'sa tab on mmushrooms. But most experienced hunters on morels r from the south. I have 218 acres of mostly wooded area made up of mostly elm ,ashred oak and some poplars , maple ,cherry,white pine. When should I start checking for morels? Also my beef cowshave it for pasture but not for another 2 ta 3 weeks all depends on how the grass ggrows. Will this effect the growth of morels? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thxs

2. lithic hunter

lithic hunter Morel Enthusiast

hello there, it's a wee bit early in my area. I'm gonna start looking around May 1st.
    Speaking of ginseng, don't you need some kind of license to sell it in NY?

3. jcumo saratoga

jcumo saratoga Morel Connoisseur

I am in Saratoga Springs and people in my area generally start posting finds the last week in April or the 1st week in May. I havnt seen anyone near me with them yet.

4. hoblershang

Lithic u do need a licence to sell ginseng out of ny state. But not if ur selling it to a dealer in NY.
    Jcumo I've been cutting wood n haven't seen any yet . i live in gouverneur bout 30 miles north of Watertown. Leeks just started to pop up. I'm hoping I have some morels on my land so I don't have ta travel around to look. I get some great puffballs in late August. Had so many didn't know what ta do with them. But my girlfriend n I Lov mushrooms n trying to expand the wild ones we eat. But I'm ever so careful cause Iknow tthere's more posion ones than good.

5. sugarman

sugarman Morel Enthusiast

I am in the Northville area,i will start looking in about 2 weeks,hoping to find a few more than last year,which totaled 13,enough for 2 meals,luv them morels,i have put the word out,anybody with an abundance of them,willing to trade maple syrup for some,even this year was bad for ta,made50% of what i usually make396 gallons made

6. lynkage

lynkage Morel Connoisseur

Hobler, you're lucky to have elms.I'm in schuyler co. and they're rare. Most of my finds are under ash trees or ash are nearby.The last two years I found my first morels with a week left in april but those were mild winters and the climate close to these lakes tends to be a bit milder. Happy hunting!

7. hoblershang

Lynkage I go down to the glen during hunting season nice country down there but ur right I don't recall seeing many elms. My land is 80% elms. I just hope I've got morels too. Thxs

8. stou8042

stou8042 Morel Enthusiast

Anyone finding any around Carthage or Watertown? I've been looking in Beartown State Forest with no results the last couple nights.

9. hoblershang

Stou
    On one of the post someone found them in a back yard in watertown

10. audiophoenix

audiophoenix Morel Connoisseur

Saratoga springs represent