1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

New to Kansas and Morel hunting

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by zacharyhreed, Mar 18, 2015.

1. zacharyhreed

zacharyhreed Morel Enthusiast

Hello all! I am new to Morel hunting and to the KS area and I am looking to find some peoe to go out hunting with. I am a meat scientist so I can bring along the Genoa salami I dry cured to help keep energy levels up. I live in Olathe KS.

Thanks,

Zach

2. roldawg31

roldawg31 Young Morel

What got you into wanting to hunt morels? Im in the manhattan area hit me up if you come out this way

3. fourcap

fourcap Young Morel

I am somewhat new to salami making and would love some input from an expert. In lawrence ks. How do I reach you?

4. zacharyhreed

Fourcap, I would love to talk salami. Once you understand the basics it is pretty straight forward. You can email me at zacharyhreed at gmail dot com. Cell 5032981906

I would love to trade knowledge, morel hunting for salami. Let me know.

5. zacharyhreed

Roldawg31 I have always loved the outdoors and anywhere I move I try to find something new that interests me in the area. In Oregon I learned to dig razor clams and fish for dungeness crab. I love to fish and cook so I figured picking mushrooms would be a great fit for me. I never learned the chantrelles while in Oregon so I wanted to take advantage of the Morels.

I will let you know if I get out to the Manhattan area. When would be a good weekend and maybe I will plan a trip.

Cheers!

6. micomikey

micomikey Morel Enthusiast

Hey Zach, welcome to KS. I work in Olathe and live in Osawatomie. I have a few places around Hillsdale lake that are generally good for a decent batch, but it's well hunted land :) Also have a few prospect areas that I haven't tried yet. If you're up for it we could check them out.

7. zack

zack Young Morel

I'm new to hunting myself I'm north of Hutchison I found 3 falsely this morning

8. zacharyhreed

Micomikey that would be awesome. When do you think they will start popping? I was thinking about going out on Saturday morning.

9. micomikey

Went out Monday evening, still nothing. I'm guessing/hoping next week we should start seeing some action. I'll be in Oklahoma this weekend, going to try to sneak away and find some woods to explore if i can :)
    I see your contact info above. I'll hit you up next week and we'll set something up.

If I was home this weekend I would be out for sure. You never know unless you look right?!

10. zacharyhreed

micomikey are you up for going out this Saturday? I was thinking I would like to take my son out with me on Saturday. Let me know maybe we can hunt the Hillsdale area.

11. micomikey

Get out of my head Zach!! I was going to email you today to see if you wanted to go out this weekend lol. Sounds like we're on the same page, and depending on how old your son is, absolutely bring him. I'm not as young as I used to be and need little people to get into those hard to reach areas haha :mrgreen:

I'll hit you up on gmail for details.

12. broadie

broadie Young Morel

Micomikey and Zach I live in the Wichita area, but my dad lives near Beagle, Kansas just south of Osawatomie. I am coming up tonight until Sunday and we are going to try it out. Have you found any around there yet?

13. micomikey

Nothing from my known spots, but I'm not convinced there's not some up somewhere, they're poppin just about everywhere else. I think this weekend is going to be a good weekend to look.