Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I'm not sure where else I should post it.

I live in CNY ( Oswego County ) and would love to get into Morel hunting ( and more ). I have very little experience with foraging, limited mainly to ramps and cowslips.

I'd love to find someone or a group that I could go out with and learn from. I'd gladly bring a bag and knife and help out. While I know that there is tons of information both here & other places on the web, there's nothing like learning in-person.

I'm looking for an education so I don't end up dead or worse when I look on my own. I'm game for hunting up any kind of mushrooms or other local edibles for myself & maybe some friends. It's just something I'd like to do as a hobby to give me a reason to get out of the house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I probably should have added that any tips are welcomed, I just don't think I'd be comfortable going out on my own without at least 1 "outing" with a competent forager :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me too! I don't seem to be looking in the right places. I also would like to find other edible mushrooms. Maybe there are local classes through 4H or the Ag dept. Have you had any luck finding a mentor? I'm near the VT border and don't know anyone knowledgeable in wild mushrooms here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am afraid that most people can't help beginners out. I will speak for myself..... I get into the woods at any opportunity that I can, however it is rather spontaneous.
Also when I forage I enjoy it most when I am alone. There is no pressure when I am alone, I don't need to find anything to accomplish my goal.
I have and will take out a family member but only to introduce them to the mystery and magic of the woods.
Only when they are comfortable being in the woods may the many intricate wonders be revealed, either through my eyes, but more intrinsically, through their eyes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts