1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

New to NJ need helpful hand....

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by mike08540, Apr 9, 2015.

1. mike08540

mike08540 Young Morel

I also grew up inAlaska and used to pick morels all the time. I and in Princeton area and if anyone would give me some helpful hints of where to look around here it would be greatfully appreciated and truly kept to ourselves. I know its a lot to ask but maybe someone would be willing. Good hunting to all.

2. beerstalker

beerstalker Morel Enthusiast

Sorry Mike,I live upstate NY. But I keep checking NJ Forums and they been quiet for a while-Hope Some Hunters come back-Too Quiet Here!!!!

3. hossler59

hossler59 Morel Enthusiast

I am in Mt Laurel, NJ
    Haven't seen anything yet

4. dberry78

dberry78 Morel Enthusiast

Hey iv been out the last 3 days, after scouting and researching since December. Still trying to figure this out exactly. I hit ash trees along a river, a mountain ridge covered in big tulip poplar, and 2 abandoned apple orchards. Also hiked limestone ridges in Sussex today. I have never seen a morel with my own 2 eyes yet and not from lack of trying. If I figure this morel thing out I'll help you out. That's a big if though lol. I'm gonna hit the apples and tulips along the limestone ridge again next week. I refuse to believe they don't grow there, I must just be to early lol.

5. beerstalker

dberry78 I'm planning on hitting a spot in Vernon this Sunday?I don't think I have much company-If you'd like to team up I'd be happy to get together?

6. dberry78

dberry78 Morel Enthusiast

Yea give me a time I was going to go up Sunday anyway. Daniel.casaburi@gmail.com

7. beerstalker

Great-Just tried to email you(windows 8-grrrr) u get the gist-Sat Night I'll send u my ph## I don't think we'll find much.All indicators are that i'm real early this year.But Persistence is King.

8. beerstalker

Great Hike Daniel.Wish I was a lil younger again-Folks in NY are reporting sightings! So its time to start searching-We Really Need Rain!!!!

9. homeskillet

homeskillet Morel Enthusiast

I live on the New Jersey and PA border in Bethlehem PA area. I found over 5 lbs last night and this morning in Virginia. They were prime time down there so they should be perfect in the next week in New Jersey if they come up there. I know a lot of the trees people usually find them by but I look more for terrain along with trees. I will post a picture below of the tree I was finding them around.

10. homeskillet

homeskillet Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  11. hossler59

Still nothing here, thought after the rain yesterday, maybe.
    But no.

12. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Enthusiast

hossler59...I think you may have to travel North. If you read the message board they are finding them in upstate NY. I'm in Ct. and it is all but over. Never really started. Mother Nature threw us a curveball.

13. hossler59

Thanks for the info clutch2412. This is my first season here for in Jersey.
    It's been a really disappointing one too. Maybe next year.

14. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Enthusiast

Yeah. There is always next year. Good luck if you hunt other edibles and hope for better weather next April and May.

15. woodsman416

woodsman416 Young Morel

Lots of chanterelles in the woods right now!

16. brandilippincott

brandilippincott Morel Enthusiast

Any luck this year Mike? I'm looking to scout with others to hit the mother load!