1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

New to the Black Hills

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by cassennis, Apr 2, 2016.

1. cassennis

cassennis Young Morel

When does the morels start here? I'm in the Sturgis area but I'm from Missouri and their booming now.

2. mushroom_mentor

mushroom_mentor Morel Connoisseur

Hi, you guys! My name is Karrin and my partner and I have started a Youtube channel that is geared toward getting regular people out into the wilderness and foraging for wild mushrooms and wild plants. Our first two videos focus on morels. We don't like to be secretive, and are super friendly. We are looking for a community online, specifically Youtube, to share our adventures and knowledge with. We are also open to feedback and suggestions for future videos. If you wish to reply to the video, please do so on my youtube channel, otherwise I might not see it here.

If you're from MN, we'll even give you an exact location where you can find morels if you're just starting out. We also hope to host forays in the spring and summer. So check out our videos and don't forget to subscribe, like and share! Thanks, and we look forward to getting to know you!!
    The link to our youtube channel: https://youtu.be/dUxufP0AHqY

3. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Cassennis - We look to receive plus inch of rain Fri-Mon so if it stays warm we will start looking the end of next week. Normal years have us finding first black morels the last few days of April, but Mother's Day is a typical start for any quantity. Welcome to the hills!

4. maryb

maryb Young Morel

We are new to the Spearfish area, and hoping to find some morels for the family this year! Can you give any tips on areas to look? Tinton Road to Big Hill or way out to Old Baldy trail? Southern slopes? Or lower elevations, like Sand Creek? I am also looking for suggestions to reference books - I have "Start Mushrooming", which focuses on just six (including morels). Thanks!

5. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Mary - "Mushrooms and Other Fungi of the Black Hills and Surrounding Area" by Audrey Gabel and Elaine Ebbert dated 2004 and printed by Black Hills State University Press in Spearfish is the book you want. Sand Creek has many rattle snakes south of I-90 - second in snake numbers IMHO only to French Creek on the east side of CSP. The Red Water River drainage is good early extending into Wyoming and the 20 mile long E-W ridge north of the creek was fantastic last year. If in the pines we start the season south of Whitewood extending SE to Piedmont and focus on low elevation, sunny slopes that retain moisture. Invest a few minutes in reading prior years posts on this board as many share solid info that should be of use. A good reference is also found at MushroomExpert.com and Dr. Kuo's 'shroom books are great. Welcome to the Black Hills!

6. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Seriously mushroom_mentor, you're spamming every state's thread? Lame

7. maryb

maryb Young Morel

Thanks, Butchbob! The weather is beautiful, and I plan to get out this weekend! I am so happy to hear about the books, and will avoid the rattle snakes!