Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all:

I am new to the Front Range area and am looking to get out for some morels, but I have a few questions: 1) I live in Longmont, CO; am I too late; and 2) where--near me--would I even attempt to look?

I am an experienced morel hunter originally from Michigan (and know when and where to go back home), but I just do not know when and where to go around here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there,
I live in Longmont too. I've never mushroom hunted before but I am definitely going to get out there this year. Driving around town ive been looking for places to hunt. Im going to check along St. Vrain Creek just south of 3rd street. There are walking paths there on both sides of Hover. Lots of cottonwoods in that area. Like i said, ive never hunted before but im gonna check out those spots in the near future. I think i will also join the mycological society this year for their guided hunts so I can get my feet wet. Let me know if you find anything around here. Ive never had a morel but im determined to try one this year one way or another!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Given the date, I would not put much effort into the river bottom morels right now, your a few weeks late. Head to the hills and look for the blacks, you may find a few greys and yellows up high also near cottonwoods but there is not a lot of public areas that host the right conditions in your area. Find a forest access between Estes and Ned that has had forest activities like logging or thinning in the last couple of years. Also areas with heavy beetle mortality in the lodge pole should start producing in the next week. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, jilkim77, I know the area. There are plenty of lanceleaf cottonwood on either side of the St. Vrain in that area. I actually fished there a couple of times a few weeks ago, but I was not looking too closely for mushrooms. If you have never hunted for morels and had the pleasure of eating the ones you have found, it is a worthwhile endeavor. In Michigan, I knew when and where to go and picked loads of them over the years.

I like Jparr1's suggestion. Those areas sound like places to investigate. I am definitely getting out, so I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im sure you are right Jparr1, I just don't get how it can already be too late for morels at this elevation since its been so cold. We have had a few days of warm weather but its definitely not warm yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jilkm77, always worth a look, expecially on a cool year, Just saying on a normal year your too late that low, luckily co had a long long season if you know where to look. Earliest I have picked is March 25th. And latest June 7th. I know they go longer but we get burnt out and I typically have enough dryed by mid May to last the rest of the year.
If you want yellows or greys find narrow leaf cottonwoods. Try to find recent killed or stressed trees. Active beaver areas and burns are good spots to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well hopefully I find one this year. I saw a documentary on Morels like 5 years and have been dreaming about them ever since. Hopefully this is the year I get to eat one.

Does anyone know anything about the Denver Mycological society (it might just be the CO mycological society). Their first mushroom hunt is June 4th but it sounds like at least Morels will be gone by then... :-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday I wandered alongside Boulder Creek above Boulder Falls, closer to Nederland, and found one false morel (back home we call them beefsteaks).

I cannot remember if they are "active", but there are some beaver cuttings (and narrow leaf cottonwoods) alongside the St Vrain right in the Roger's Grove park. You have to get off the paved areas and follow the dirt trails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those false morels are snow bank false morels and are a good indicator the soil temp is right. I'll find those mixed in the same areas I'm picking morels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. I, too, have had the same experience. I have had Blacks, Whites, Yellows, and Half-frees all mixed in with Beefsteaks and Verpas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CrazyHorse,

My name is Nate and I am moving to Firestone Nov 1st. I am so excited to see that there is some Morel activity out here! Being from Ohio, mushroom hunting has been a life long tradition. I have zero knowledge of the mountains but want to learn as much as i can. Hit me up whenever and lets see if we can find a few Hickory Chickens in the spring.

330-234-2097

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the site, and haven't successfully hunted CO yet. I created a 2016 front range thread to hopefully coordinate some team ups for hunting. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts