1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

new to this

Discussion in 'Nebraska' started by justanewhunter, Apr 26, 2014.

1. justanewhunter

justanewhunter Morel Enthusiast

Hi I am new to searching for morels is there any advice or help that can be giving as to where about to look for them at?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone.

2. shroomanitutanka

shroomanitutanka Morel Connoisseur

Start in creek or river bottoms for the next 3-5 days. The greys are up with the blondes starting to pop too! They'll progress into the hills over the next week & a half. Look for moister soil conditions, especially on areas exposed to abundant sunshine. Take your time & be patient. When you find one, stop and scan the area starting in a 4-5 ft space completely around you. You mave have to move a few leaves, but they're there. A sturdy walking stick helps!
    Happy Hunting!
    Shroomanitutanka

3. justanewhunter

Thank you Shroomanitutanka for the advice. Hope I can find some and again best of luck to you!!

4. htebcam6

htebcam6 Young Morel

I've hunted on and off for morels around Kearney for years without ever finding one. Friday I made a concerted effort for three hours and found about 30, so I was stickled by success at last! Then yesterday I had only half an hour or so so I tried a new spot and found the Mother Lode of morels. A patch maybe 30 x 30 feet with hundreds of them in it, visible at one glance! Only had a one-gallon bucket, so I'm headed back for lots more tomorrow! This is great fun, and they are soooo tasty!

5. shroomanitutanka

Where exactly is your new spot? Heh, heh! I've had to take my jacket & shirt off before and tie off the sleeves so that I could fill them with morels. Learned to always pack more storage bags when ever I go this time of year. I'm happy for you. Enjoy your find & remember to share with family & friends!
    Happy Hunting!

6. htebcam6

htebcam6 Young Morel

Shroomanitutanka: The honey-hole is at 40 degrees, 39 minutes, 41.75 seconds north latitude and 99 degrees, 4 minutes, 7.10 seconds west longitude. Maybe 50 feet from the Platte River. I'm going right now to harvest the rest! :-->) I've got a list of folks I'm going to give them to.

7. htebcam6

htebcam6 Young Morel

Why is my little icon picture frowning?

8. shroomanitutanka

Luckily for you, I'm an hour & a half east of you and working!! Most people wouldn't even be able to find them with exact coordinates, so I think your find is safe until you get there! It's always good to share. Last night I went out after the rain and found about 90 freshly popped gems. On my way home, I got a call from an old friend that recently lost his father, so I stopped and picked up some cold ones and when I got to his house, I gave the morels a quick rinse, then threw them in to the saute pan with a couple tablespoons of butter and we sat there on the deck and ate them with toothpicks! They were wonderful, and I like to think they brought some joy into my buddies day!
    You're icon should be smiling big time! I've tried to change mine, but it's not as easy as posting a pic on this site.
    Good Luck & continued happy hunting!
    Shroomani

9. amyebutcher

amyebutcher Morel Enthusiast

This warmed my heart, Shroomanitutanka. Good to see some genuine kindness from these morel boards on occasion. Kudos.

10. justanewhunter

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1512385_10203048304821946_4355102063614443320_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  11. justanewhunter

Thanks for the advice found about 60 of em..

Happy Hunting all....

12. shroomanitutanka

Glad to see you found some. We are in it now. I saw a gal in the woods today with a nice big bag of yellow & greys. She said she lives for this time of year! It's good to see a kindred spirit. I too become obsessed every year at this time. Out each day for the last 4 and I've gone just over 400 for my time. Nice yellow ones in the grass but really had to go slow so I didn't step on them. Can't wait to see what the next week brings!
    Happy Hunting!
    Shroomanitutanka