Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don’t know if it’s customary for newbies to intro but I’ll take a shot. Woodstock, GA here. Was looking for something to make my hikes a little more interesting, and I’m a cooking fanatic, and came across this fascinating pursuit. Figured it sounded right up my alley.

Been reading a ton on likely locations, conditions, weather variables, etc. An area with a small creek I used to fish a little sounds like it has all the variables and would be perfect. My first ever exploratory hunt will be tomorrow and I’m very excited, so figured I’d sign up and say hi.

Fully expect to find none, but a walk in the woods is never bad. If I do luck out, I’ll certainly post pics, and apparently I’d damn better provide date verification! :eek: Hopefully I can pick my first this season! Cheers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey newbie! I just saw your post and am sorry no one got back to you. I personally have had a terrible season because I hunt flood plains around creeks and they have been inundated with water. Evidently morel mycelium doesn't like to be under water. Hope you had some success. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey newbie! I just saw your post and am sorry no one got back to you. I personally have had a terrible season because I hunt flood plains around creeks and they have been inundated with water. Evidently morel mycelium doesn't like to be under water. Hope you had some success. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask.
Much thanks! Funny enough I know a lot of similar areas that I am hunting and am finding the same thing. Flooding and water! I did read somewhere that two years post-inundation those spots tend to heal with regard to Morel production. Any truth to that? Still hunting, have many more spots to explore. I’ll certainly post my first shroom! Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Much thanks! Funny enough I know a lot of similar areas that I am hunting and am finding the same thing. Flooding and water! I did read somewhere that two years post-inundation those spots tend to heal with regard to Morel production. Any truth to that? Still hunting, have many more spots to explore. I’ll certainly post my first shroom! Thanks for the response!
Yes i think the circumstances that come from periodic flooding HELP the morel mycelium but on the other hand I don't believe the mycelium can be under water for long periods of time without detrimental effects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts