NJ Peeps - Where Are You?

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by brandilippincott, Apr 7, 2015.

1. brandilippincott

brandilippincott Morel Enthusiast

I used to pick morels all the time in Alaska. When I moved to NJ (I live in Medford), the trees are all different and I have been unable to find the elusive morel. Is there anyone that would take me under their wing? My morel hunting eyes are a bit rusty, but I am sure I can easily dust them off to spot like a champ! I have been telling my daughter about them for years, but she has been unable to taste them. Please, I beg of you! :)

2. beerstalker

beerstalker Morel Enthusiast

m actually Upstate NY-But I work in Sussex,NJ. Always up for a "Quest".

3. danieljs7

danieljs7 Young Morel

Hey, I live pretty close to Medford over in Mount Laurel..... This is my first season out hunting for morels, so I'm still learning. If I find any, I'll let you know.

4. hossler59

hossler59 Morel Enthusiast

Hi! I am new to NJ, living in Mt Laurel area. We used to pick in Il and Ky, but not sure of the season here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to go!!

5. beerstalker

beerstalker Morel Enthusiast

Start looking in about 2 weeks-I'm in North NJ and season usually starts 2 weeks after Wild Leek pops up-And that happened today! You may be a few days earlier-like next weekend? Season ends around end of May. I suggest searching to the south early on-and to the north later-Couple days can make a difference when you're talking 100 miles!

6. hossler59

Thanks for the info, will let you know if I find anything.

7. dberry78

dberry78 Morel Enthusiast

Im in Somerset. This will be my first year morel hunting. I pick hen of the woods in the early fall because I see them when I'm bowhunting, but I decided to work on expanding my mushroom repertoire. I started IDing mushrooms last fall while hiking the Catskills and I put a TON of effort into reading, research, and finding ash trees, tulip poplars, PH neutral soils, and even an abandoned apple orchard or 2. I have no idea if they will produce morels though. I tried to find dying elms and cover my bases but the heck if i know what a dying elm tree looks like let alone a live one. Tulips and ash and apple trees are easy... If i find I will definitely post, I think I'm going to try getting out late next week. I found Mayapples in one spot yesterday that were just blooming to about 6 inches tall. Apparently when they hit 10-12 inches is when you can expect morels. So they say. BTW my "spots", or more like "potential spots" are in Warren, Hunterdon, and Sussex. Good luck everyone.

8. hollerboy

hollerboy Morel Enthusiast

Been actively looking for the past two weeks in my Hunterdon and Mercer early spots and nothing yet. May 1 last year but the ground is fairly dry now. If we get some rain next week I am thinking Thursday/Friday they might pop.

9. eric

eric Young Morel

I find lots in the Allentown NJ area.
    This week coming should be good if we get some rain. cold spring has set us back. I'm usually killing um by now

10. hossler59

Found one morel today, and 19 peckerheads! The fun has just begun!!
    Good luck everyone.

11. hossler59

I have been out everyday since my last post, have not found anything.
    We need rain!

12. brandilippincott

brandilippincott Morel Enthusiast

How about anyone else? I am really stuck with where to look. What does the area look like where you find them? Anyone want to meet up for mushroom hunting? Email me at brandilippincott (at) gmail (dot) com

13. hossler59

Went out this morning for a couple of hours. I thought after the rain yesterday I might
    Stumble across a few, but no such luck. Not even one.

14. hossler59

Ok NJ folks, the 2016 Morel season is coming up soon. Not sure how our weather is going to affect the season yet. Hopefully we will start getting plenty of rain. Will be anxiously waiting to hear how everyone does. Remember to post any finds!!!

15. eric schade

eric schade Morel Enthusiast

gonna do a quick look in the Allentown area on sunday

16. piofish

piofish Young Morel

Started this week in South Jersey- got about 24 smalls, need some rain to leep them popping

17. hossler59

Hi Piofish! I am in South Jersey as well. Thanks for the info.
    I still haven't seen any yet, but will be out in forces this week!
    Will let you know what I find.

18. philly troy

philly troy Young Morel

live in philly my spot has dried up looking for ANY help in NJ my daughter 18 and myself 55 go every year if anyone want to go out let me know........troy

19. eric schade

eric schade Morel Enthusiast

hit my Allentown spot Sunday(17th) nothing. At least a week to 10 days till ground cover will look right. Will deff need some rain also.

20. hossler59

Checked out Princeton area, no luck. Will be back out again tomorrow.