Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
This will be my first year looking. Thinking of looking in places with skunk cabbage and dying trees. Seen some promising spots along the NE corridor.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I live in central nj.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I went out looking this weekend and found nothing. I really think it's too dry. Hopefully after it rains on Friday, some mushrooms should start popping up early next week. I would really appreciate some help though. I am lost when it comes to where to look. What do the woods look like that are perfect for finding morels in this area? I haven't been able to find any in NJ, but found tons before my move. I'm just a little lost as to what the perfect woods look like. For example, where I used to live, anything w/spruce/pine needles would be a no-go. Is that the same in NJ? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd also love to go hunting w/a group if anyone is game. I'm in the Mt. Laurel area. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Brandi, I am in Voorhees. I am game to go hunting, but I never picked morels. I did pick other mushrooms and as uyou I would like some help with morels. If somebody takes me and show how to look for morels I promice not to pick in your spot anf give you all but one if we find any!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newly minted mushroom hunter here, I'm in Union county.

Has anyone tried hunting with the NJ Mycological society? I was thinking of joining just to get some pointers on Morel hunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@UnionDan That sounds like a good idea. They are doing a foray next Sunday in Princeton Institute Woods. I think I might go. They try to identify all types of mushrooms, not just edible ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to foraging.. I spoke to a local forage expert Dan De Lion and he said he has only found Morels in two spots.. This guy is a professional forager. I know a park with many tulip poplar trees and is pretty marshy.. Lots of skunk cabbage. So I'm going to hit this park up today.. Hopefully the rain we got last night and the abundance of tulip poplars will bring me some luck..

·
Registered
5 Posts
What type of terrain were you looking? Under elms, near skunk cabbage, along a river?

It is pretty dry where I have been.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lanafine....email me at brandilippincott at gmail . com - I am planning on going out next weekend or possibly this week. The rain should make things pop!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Found 3 today with the NJMA in Princeton under a Tulip poplar. Other people found more, also under tulip trees.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Eric! Congrats on your find. Hubby and I were out Saturday and again today, found 0.
If you happen to find more than you can handle, I would be interested in buying a pound or two.
Hubby is 72 and disabled, so we don't get a chance to go very long at a time.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts