NJ Peeps - Where Are You?

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by brandilippincott, Apr 7, 2015.

1. hossler59

hossler59 Morel Enthusiast

Today, I went to a burnt out pine barren area, still nothing. Getting frustrated!

2. simon

simon Morel Enthusiast

This will be my first year looking. Thinking of looking in places with skunk cabbage and dying trees. Seen some promising spots along the NE corridor.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    I live in central nj.

3. brandilippincott

brandilippincott Morel Enthusiast

I went out looking this weekend and found nothing. I really think it's too dry. Hopefully after it rains on Friday, some mushrooms should start popping up early next week. I would really appreciate some help though. I am lost when it comes to where to look. What do the woods look like that are perfect for finding morels in this area? I haven't been able to find any in NJ, but found tons before my move. I'm just a little lost as to what the perfect woods look like. For example, where I used to live, anything w/spruce/pine needles would be a no-go. Is that the same in NJ? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd also love to go hunting w/a group if anyone is game. I'm in the Mt. Laurel area. Thanks!

4. hossler59

Discouraged & disappointed! Out today for 3-4 hrs, still nothing. Praying for rain on Friday.

5. lanafine

lanafine Young Morel

Hi Brandi, I am in Voorhees. I am game to go hunting, but I never picked morels. I did pick other mushrooms and as uyou I would like some help with morels. If somebody takes me and show how to look for morels I promice not to pick in your spot anf give you all but one if we find any!

6. uniondan

uniondan Young Morel

Newly minted mushroom hunter here, I'm in Union county.

Has anyone tried hunting with the NJ Mycological society? I was thinking of joining just to get some pointers on Morel hunting.

Justina likes this.
  7. simon

simon Morel Enthusiast

@UnionDan That sounds like a good idea. They are doing a foray next Sunday in Princeton Institute Woods. I think I might go. They try to identify all types of mushrooms, not just edible ones.

8. uniondan

uniondan Young Morel

@simon Bare minimum it will be a nice walk through the forest

9. foragenj

foragenj Young Morel

I'm new to foraging.. I spoke to a local forage expert Dan De Lion and he said he has only found Morels in two spots.. This guy is a professional forager. I know a park with many tulip poplar trees and is pretty marshy.. Lots of skunk cabbage. So I'm going to hit this park up today.. Hopefully the rain we got last night and the abundance of tulip poplars will bring me some luck..

10. hossler59

Ok, so the greys are up. Only found 3 nice ones in Burlngton County today.
    At least now we know! Keep looking!

11. simon

simon Morel Enthusiast

What type of terrain were you looking? Under elms, near skunk cabbage, along a river?

It is pretty dry where I have been.
    Thanks!

12. hossler59

Simon, I didn't see any skunk cabbage out there. A few elm trees,
    and it was swampy in areas. I was only in woods about 20 feet.

13. brandilippincott

brandilippincott Morel Enthusiast

Lanafine....email me at brandilippincott at gmail . com - I am planning on going out next weekend or possibly this week. The rain should make things pop!

14. eric schade

eric schade Morel Enthusiast

found first 2 of season in Allentown Nj yesterday

15. simon

simon Morel Enthusiast

Found 3 today with the NJMA in Princeton under a Tulip poplar. Other people found more, also under tulip trees.

16. eric schade

eric schade Morel Enthusiast

Hit Allentown Nj this weekend. It is on. Beautiful fresh mushrooms everywhere.

17. hossler59

Hey Eric! Congrats on your find. Hubby and I were out Saturday and again today, found 0.
    If you happen to find more than you can handle, I would be interested in buying a pound or two.
    Hubby is 72 and disabled, so we don't get a chance to go very long at a time.

18. dberry78

dberry78 Morel Enthusiast

I do believe morels are a massive practical joke and they in fact do not exist

19. dberry78

dberry78 Morel Enthusiast

Wow! They do exist!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  20. hossler59

Haha! Where did you find the little beauties? County?