Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Central Jersey here and can’t believe with all the forests, streams etc. no one posts. Been loving the ramp harvest so far. Haven’t found any morels yet, but have my spots scoped out. Princeton area here. Is anyone else a forager in the area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am going down the shore this weekend - South Jersey shore points. Figured the soil there isn't right but wanted to do some research. Any idea if there is even a chance around there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going down the shore this weekend - South Jersey shore points. Figured the soil there isn't right but wanted to do some research. Any idea if there is even a chance around there?
I'm guessing the ground will be warmer, but since they like hardwood forests, you may not have much luck. Then again, I hear they can be found just about anywhere with a little luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The kids like to get out in the woods and we will have fun regardless. But yeah you are right - gonna be tough to find a spot that looks like it could produce down there. If we find anything, will definitely let you know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m new to this site. I was surprised no one posted either.
Not only do I have a few friends who do so but I see others out.
So far we’ve found nothing but it’s still a pinch early.
I’m not near ya. I’m as far north as you can get

·
Registered
186 Posts
G
I’m new to this site. I was surprised no one posted either.
Not only do I have a few friends who do so but I see others out.
So far we’ve found nothing but it’s still a pinch early.
I’m not near ya. I’m as far north as you can get
Great info Bowguy. I'm in Ct. It is getting close. Things are picking up quickly. Have a great year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been searching around central nj and have found 12 so far. But nothing incredible. I’m not sure if it’s too early or too late. The undergrowth is coming up at an alarming pace. The 12 were small greys too. Just not looking in the right spots. Everything seems perfect except the trees. All I find are dead oaks and tons of black walnut. And lots of bark that looks like elm, but it isn’t. Dead ash, tulip, hell... no recently dead trees have anything. Frustrating journey with more ticks than morels to show for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found 2 absolutely huge yellows today in the same spot I found the 10 greys earlier. They were like little trees. 2 made a fantastic morel and wild ramp pizza tonight!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked 54 around Allentown Nj on April 28th. Pick them every year in the Communist state of NJ.

Interesting. I’m in Jackson and never have heard of anyone talking about mushroom hunting... so I found this discussion. My sister is a big hunter in Ohio so thought I’d start sniffing around at it. Good luck in 2020. Might be about right timing now for you / us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Central Jersey here and can’t believe with all the forests, streams etc. no one posts. Been loving the ramp harvest so far. Haven’t found any morels yet, but have my spots scoped out. Princeton area here. Is anyone else a forager in the area?
I am. I’m in Bergen county.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am. I’m in Bergen county.
Hey !
I’m in Jackson. I haven’t hunted for years and years ... not since hunting with my sister and mom out in Ohio. You find around Princeton area? I wasn’t sure if the sandy soil is a growing medium around here for morels. Glad there’s folks who do find them. Good luck - I went out this morning getting my hunting eyes back - came up empty though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish I was back in Hunterdon working my spots. In SoCal mountains but making the best of it. Found over 200 so far. Here is today’s booty plus a pic of my largest Ca morel to date. I usually find quart size yellow in NJ. I added pics
7A60FA7C-12B2-453A-9D45-318249A252ED.jpeg
D477DA1F-B2D7-4AA4-A408-951A98C69163.jpeg
4A248EFD-84C4-4A83-8DF0-029604E56043.jpeg
A4AFE9AB-F931-4EF1-93F7-8162971AC032.jpeg
361E980B-C28E-4E2D-807B-6BE8612C74D4.jpeg
for reference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts