Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve got some apple trees but bought the house late summer so I was checking, it was the first time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Central Jersey here and can’t believe with all the forests, streams etc. no one posts. Been loving the ramp harvest so far. Haven’t found any morels yet, but have my spots scoped out. Princeton area here. Is anyone else a forager in the area?
I was surprised to see this. Princeton uses to be a good morel hunting area. I'm in northern NJ started finding 4/26/20 -5/4/20 using goes for a few weeks but the cold weather i think might played a part stop coming up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In your yard ! ....where do you say you live ?. Just kidding, that’s a fortunate find. Do you find them in your yard all the time, or was this a surprise ?
that where I started finding them on 4/26/20 on neighbors and park lawns and really nice ones. I posted on facebook wild mushroom and morel Facebook sights. Don't know how to post my pictures on here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The cold spring has made the season come later, but they are out in abundance in Somerset/Hunterdon counties.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My buddy found over 400 in lower warren county. I’m at the northern tip in Sussex. . Haven’t seen the numbers he is

·
Registered
82 Posts
Learn your trees. We were finding everything under dead or mostly dead apple.
Now it’s tulip poplar. Check your dead/recently dead elms.
My buddy had luck early under hackberry, cherry and shagbark hickory. I’ve never done really good under then and I do actually look by cherry.
Find a pattern, than stick w it til it’s non productive

·
Registered
6 Posts
My buddy had luck early under hackberry, cherry and shagbark hickory. I’ve never done really good under then and I do actually look by cherry.
Yeah.. I understand this concept, and do need to work on my tree identification. I guess where I feel like I'm more stuck is picking areas of forest that actually have those trees.

I know ash can be a good tree for them as well, and is also the only tree I've ever found one under (yes I've only ever found a single morel a few years ago when I just started getting into it. Didn't have time to pursue it again until now)

That spot where I found it is a little swampy with lots of ash trees, and just seems like it would be perfect. Yet only that one was ever found. I think I'm also struggling with how to tell if a tree is dying or not.

Would love to go out even just one time with someone with experience, just to observe the way they go about it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look up the learn your land guy. I think he’s the best at getting information across. He’s got morel trees and just trees in general to help you videos that are very good. As well as mushroom Id for all types. You tube em.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here’s another thing, you say you need to work on tree I’d and realize the concept, if it’s a weak spot for ya strengthen it.
As a kid my uncle n I picked mushrooms. He just pointed n said grab that one. My grandmother, his sister, wouldn’t let me eat em. Said they’d kill you so I never took id very serious.
As I got older I needed to do it on my own. I’m no tree guy. I had to learn Id.
I understand your predicament but learn the things you need to. Someone just showing you them isn’t the same. Learn areas, key in on em and look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where do you find apple trees?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just find an area w old abandoned apples. Imo the apples are done producing anything anyway. Seemed they were early on. I haven’t even checked the tulips past little bit.
I’m guessing it’s about over in the area. The weather kinda beat us some

21 - 40 of 51 Posts