Noob help

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by MT_MT, Mar 31, 2018.

1. MT_MT

MT_MT Young Morel

Hi. Im new to morel foraging and started today at a nearby park in northern Atlanta. Over 1 hour , I found what I believe to be two tiny morels, but since I don't know what I'm doing I would like some help identifying. The yellow one I found was right off the trail as soon as I started but looked as if something took the top off. The second was kinda black. Anyway are these morels and are they okay to eat? lol Thanks.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. stripernut

stripernut Morel Enthusiast

In my opinion you have a hit there. Can't tell what's going on with the last pic but that hollow stem is a good sign. Hopefully someone with more experience than mine will answer you.

3. deleted

deleted Guest

Yep, you done good there. get a few more and fry um up !

4. MT_MT

MT_MT Young Morel

Thanks. Went to another park today and found a lot more :) . Sadly I found quite a lot of morels today that were too small to consider picking or looked shriveled up.

Attached Files:

5. Lydia

Lydia Young Morel

I've found a couple of these around my house the last few years, but have always been afraid to try them. Can anyone verify they are true morels? I live in Western NY (just saw this is listed as GA but I'm having trouble finding the right forum to ask questions in).

Attached Files:

6. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

That's a true morel. If you're not sure slice them length wise and it will be completly hollow. False morels will kinda look like cotton on the inside of the stem.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lydia

Lydia Young Morel

IF i picked it yesterday and it sat out (it was high 50's today) is it still good? Or should they be refrigerated.

8. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

Still good, you can dehydrate them in the sun, soak in water then cook. Put them in the fridge if you plan to eat soon.

Lydia and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Lydia

Lydia Young Morel

Thanks! Glad I found this site!