1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Noob Searching

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by pgrimmer23, Apr 15, 2013.

1. pgrimmer23

pgrimmer23 Young Morel

So i live in Lake Bluff, Lake County, NE corner of ILL close to the lake. I am looking to find my first morels this year and like everyone else i am looking for spots and i dont know where to begin. Any tips? Forest preserves? Golf Course edges? Railroad tracks? All i really know is to look around Dying Elm trees. Do most of you all hunt on public lands or private property?

PG

2. shroomin fred

shroomin fred Morel Enthusiast

Anywhere from sparse fence rows, RR tracks to dense forest. Dead elms are great. But also look for live ash, poplar, sycamore, cottonwood, and silver maple. Isolated silver maple trees are great for big yellows

3. shroomin4life

shroomin4life Morel Enthusiast

Find some woods that has a stream running through it, make sure it's enough woods to get lost in, get lost, give up, start heading back and that's when you look down and find some. Public land is way more fun, you have every right to be there, just make sure you're not there during turkey hunting hours, if that applies in your area.