North Carolina Morels 2018

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by morelsxs, Feb 24, 2018.

1. theshroomster

theshroomster Young Morel

...For a second there i thought you might be in one of my spots...but you wouldnt have missed the fat dozen I found tonight...

2. Hunter420

Hunter420 Morel Enthusiast

Nice stick, snacks and a new walking stick. Nice day

Walkabout likes this.

3. Jason Mathena

Jason Mathena Young Morel

I lived in Raleigh for 7 years and I found a hundred and thirty-seven the last time I went out they were right there around town didn't have to go far hoping to hear some popping up soon for this year...im in Carolina beach and I am looking for someone who would want to go farther west and try our luck at a nice size mess

Acbsmiley and Walkabout like this.
  4. Jason Mathena

5. Aaron Money

Aaron Money Morel Enthusiast

Do y’all think the season has passed around Winston-Salem?

6. Aaron Money

Aaron Money Morel Enthusiast

This year has been a total flop for me. None of my usual places produced.

swampcat likes this.
  7. Kidklug

Kidklug Young Morel

IMG_2195.JPG First sighting in Chapel Hill after a rain last weekend and nights in the 40s. Looking forward to this weekend when there will be more rain and warmer weather to come.

Walkabout likes this.
  8. Matt Z

Matt Z Young Morel

I'm having no luck this year. Been looking for a couple weeks in western Mecklenburg, Lincoln, and Catawba counties. All the signs are there - mayapples, wild violets, cleaver, wild geraniums. Looking all around poplar, sycamore and ash trees and pretty much any tree. Along creek beds, low areas, high areas, you name it. I did find one tiny one while working in the front yard, but that's it.
    I know dying elms are supposed to be productive but what about ash trees? Are healthy, dead, or dying ones supposed to be productive? We have a massive infestation of emerald ash borers in Lincoln county, there are dead and dying trees everywhere. I was expecting a bumper crop this year but that hasn't panned out yet.

Walkabout likes this.
  9. Jason Mathena

No

10. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

Ash trees should be alive, all others dying with bark still attached. It's been tough going for me too. Found 6 little ones all under the same ash tree three weeks apart. I wouldn't give up the hunt just yet. Just gotta keep looking and looking and looking

11. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

The good news about dead ash trees is that they do support oyster mushrooms if you're into that kind of thing

12. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Found 18 real nice yellows in the snow flurries today in Swain County. Going to take a few days off and start hunting at higher elevations. Most mountain tops around me where white with snow and ryme ice today. Supposed to warmup as the week goes on. My prime hill side has produced about 125 yellows for the year. Off to a pretty good start. My higher elevation spots usually produce between 200-300 tulip morels and a few blacks. Should have about 3 weeks left in the season for me.

CJS likes this.
  13. Hunter420

Hunter420 Morel Enthusiast

Supper!

Attached Files:

14. Acbsmiley

Acbsmiley Young Morel

I'm in Fayetteville. Rockfish area. I need to go search. I wasn't great at it when i lived in kansas when they were everywhere but man I'm craving some. Any luck or should we take a day trip west?

baby_barefoot likes this.
  15. Acbsmiley

Acbsmiley Young Morel

Well this gives me hope that i can find some near Fayetteville.

16. Jason Mathena

I live in Carolina Beach and I have been dying to go I've hunted them my whole life I'm originally from Illinois I can't seem to find anybody who would like to go exploring cuz I have no idea where exactly I just know somewhere around Asheville area Appalachian Mountains I have found them in Raleigh so I know at least they are not far the best. Far East I would be willing to split cost

17. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Wanted to post and let you guys know that we just started our season over the weekend here in Kentucky.

We have been delayed by 2.5 weeks.

This coming weekend will be a good time to hit the woods and grab some morels.

Hope this helps you guys out.

Best of luck

macmacjoe likes this.
  18. macmacjoe

macmacjoe Morel Enthusiast

Is Anyone finding them around Asheville or west of there?

19. macmacjoe

macmacjoe Morel Enthusiast

20. baby_barefoot

baby_barefoot Morel Enthusiast

It's been raining like crazy today and yesterday in Mooresville/Statesville/Denver area. The groups on Facebook are saying that we are done for the season. Do you think I would be silly to try and do a last chance hunt tomorrow or the next day? I moved to NC from KS 3 years ago, this will be my third year skunked and morel season was my favorite time of year. I don't want to give up. D: