North Eastern Kentucky

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by chadcob, Apr 19, 2015.

1. chadcob

chadcob Morel Enthusiast

Picks, Posts and Places

2. chadcob

chadcob Morel Enthusiast

I live outside of Morehead Ky. been hear a little less than a year. Didn't make the last years harvest. and new to the hunt hear. I've been out every day in this last week. Walked over 50 miles and haven't seen a thing. I'm in need of help with this area please any advice will be great!

3. jacktherooster

jacktherooster Young Morel

I've found a few dozen yellow at the lake. Found a half dozen spikes today. No black or greys. My advice is find a spot you can look for them along the creek or the licking river with elms if possible otherwise hit the poplar groves. Just make sure you have permission to hunt the area. That weird weather we had back in march made things a bit out of whack as far as timing this year, in my opinion. I was finding big yellow sponges a week before those spikes popped up in an area I usually find the spikes a couple of weeks before the blacks.

4. chadcob

chadcob Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Jack for the heads up. Just went looking A little bit ago n a well known spot that has produced plenty n the last several years but I came up empty handed. So I'm really hoping tomorrow will be a better day. But with being new to the area my options are limited. Would really like to get out to the lake and look but didn't know if it was aloud? Any way thanks for the info and if you have any pics please share them.

5. chadcob

chadcob Morel Enthusiast

In need of a picking buddy!

6. bigdaddy9742

bigdaddy9742 Young Morel

Did you ever find any Chad I also live near Morehead but have had no luck.

7. chadcob

chadcob Morel Enthusiast

No luck yet, I went out for a couple hours yesterday with no luck and today has been to rainy and cold to go. Really drawing a blank as to where else to go been studying the trees hear and looking for popular, oaks and ash. So hopefully I find some this next week. What's been your game plan?

8. bigdaddy9742

bigdaddy9742 Young Morel

Going out today on a farm that should have some if you want to email me at [email protected] Maybe we can go out Monday picking.

9. jasonatron

jasonatron Young Morel

I've been out in the Morehead area twice this week and found some both times. However, the mushrooms were small and sparse. We found 12 small greys yesterday and only 4 blondes today. As Jack said above, I also think the weather has had some effect on the harvest so far this year, but I think it'll pick up soon as the soil temperatures reach their ideal range (~50 F).

As far as where to look - Jack is right - check around the Elm, Poplar and Ash trees.