Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello North Jersey folks,

Has anyone come across one yet? I've been out hunting almost daily for two weeks, and have seen none. It's been wet enough. Maybe not warm enough. I see that last year people were finding them around here in mid-May.

Gary

·
Registered
72 Posts
It’s been snowing on n off for a week. It was warm but cold now. Freezing or about freezing most nights, staying cold during the day.
I haven’t seen any, no pheasant back either.
Trout lilies are up n the mayflowers are open. Fiddleheads up too but lots got frost damaged. Leeks are up too. Thinking soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s been snowing on n off for a week. It was warm but cold now. Freezing or about freezing most nights, staying cold during the day.
I haven’t seen any, no pheasant back either.
Trout lilies are up n the mayflowers are open. Fiddleheads up too but lots got frost damaged. Leeks are up too. Thinking soon.
Bowguy,

Where abouts do you live? I’m in Norwood in Bergen county. No snow here. Just rain. But it’s been cold. I’m also seeing lots of trout lilies and fiddlehead ferns, and I’m starting to see dandelions in lawns. All good signs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got out briefly today, too. Found some ramps and fiddleheads but no morels.
Garold unless that pic came through funny they ain’t ostrich fern fiddleheads. Are the stems hairy? If so no go. Is there a celery type groove in stalk, if not no go. Is there a brown wax paper looking stuff on some? If not no go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Garold unless that pic came through funny they ain’t ostrich fern fiddleheads. Are the stems hairy? If so no go. Is there a celery type groove in stalk, if not no go. Is there a brown wax paper looking stuff on some? If not no go.
Thanks for the info. I didn’t pick the ferns. As you noted, I don’t know much about them. I know the ramps, though. I need to school myself on the ferns.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got pics uncleaned. If I go w my girl later I’ll try n get some good
7AA2814F-A86C-4A4B-AC3A-EB9FC83532D8.jpeg
pics for ya. This is very emergent ostrich fern fiddleheads you can see the brown stuff

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey n go into the NY forum. Titled leeks. Check the pics of the “skeletons” I call em. They’re the old ferns. They resemble a feather. They should be right in area too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had a few friends find them the past few days. One guy found 7-8 big ones and about 50 he said too small yet.
Another buddy found some half free and yellows today.
I haven’t found any yet but it was still real cold til recently.
These guys are about an hour south so really not too far, def considered north jersey by most

·
Registered
61 Posts
I found a few in Hunterdon County two weeks ago. I went back last week and nothing else had come up. I was about to give up and thinking I missed the boat but I guess they haven’t really started yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a few friends find them the past few days. One guy found 7-8 big ones and about 50 he said too small yet.
Another buddy found some half free and yellows today.
I haven’t found any yet but it was still real cold til recently.
These guys are about an hour south so really not too far, def considered north jersey by most
Thanks for the info! Gonna get out as soon as the rain stops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello North Jersey folks,

Has anyone come across one yet? I've been out hunting almost daily for two weeks, and have seen none. It's been wet enough. Maybe not warm enough. I see that last year people were finding them around here in mid-May.

Gary
not yet still to cold in the mornings. West Milford.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts