North West Arkansas- 3 miles from the Buffalo River

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by jean marie, Mar 16, 2015.

1. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

Hello fellow Arkansans! I'm a newbie to this forum. This is my second year of foraging for mushrooms. But have been foraging for wild edible plants for 10 years now. Has anyone had any luck finding any morels lately? I found my first morels last year about the first week of April. Is that the norm for this area? Any replies would be appreciated. Thank you

2. arkanshrooms

arkanshrooms Morel Connoisseur

None yet. I have been out every day hiking waterfalls and watching for new growth. Look me up on facebook. I'm in Crawford county near the Mulberry River. 1st week of April is the norm. This year I joined the Arkansas Mycological Society and will be going on a foray soon.

3. jean marie

Unfortunately, well not really lol.. I do not have a FB account. I'm in Marion County. I am also a member of the AMS. I attended my first foray last year in October at Devil's Den State Park. May I ask which foray you will be attending? I haven't kept up much lately.

4. arkanshrooms

I got the Newsletter about the Morel Forays in the mail. Didn't you get one? You have to pay dues every year to remain an active member I believe.

5. jean marie

Yes that is correct. I must have over looked it as junk mail by mistake :(
    I will look online for the next foray. Thanks

6. arkanshrooms

Still no morels in my area so far.

7. jean marie

None here either. I've been out in the woods for a couple hrs each day the past 3 days.
    Oh well... We've waited this long, what's 2 more weeks? Last year I found them not really looking for them. The day after I found the first ones I went out again. I tried looking under/around elms (not many poplars in this area) and oaks. Didn't find any. I just happened to stop at a cedar (not expecting to find any) looked down and low and behold there was a morel at the base of this cedar tree? So I began looking under all trees after that. I found a few (but not many). Hope they are more abundant where you hunt. Do you have any pointers/suggestions from any personal experiences?

8. arkanshrooms

Look for the Ash trees.

9. chapman two step

chapman two step Morel Enthusiast

Up here in central Missouri ash trees are a great place to start for those early morels. BAM!

10. jean marie

Thank y'all for your time & comments!

11. veronicaandgary

veronicaandgary Morel Enthusiast

We are new to the morel hunt but are very excited to look in this next week, I think they will be out Wednesday or Sunday. We looked around Dardanelle yesterday with no luck. I have a doctors appt. in Talahina Ok on Tuesday and we plan on looking on the way and the way home. Does anyone have any suggestions of places of interest in that direction. We would appreciate any pointers. We will share in the bounty as well!

12. arkanshrooms

Morels are up already in central Oklahoma around OK City. I love the Talimena drive going from Mena, AR to Talahina OK.

13. veronicaandgary

It will be our first time on that drive. I will report on the finds when we get home. I don't facebook sadly. I just emailed Jay about joining. I sent him a picture of a 45lb Hen of the Woods we found this past fall! I will post a picture on here in a bit. We have never eaten morels before but hear they are delicious. So far my favorites are the Black Trumpets and Hen. My husbands favorites are the Sweet tooth and smooth Chanterelles.

14. arkanshrooms

I like Lion's Mane. I found a big one last month near Camden.

15. veronicaandgary

We found a 4 lb one on the way to Grant County back in November. I am going to post a couple of pics of the finds from last year.

16. jean marie

I saw on the "morel sighting" website that someone found morels in south Missouri yesterday. Got my adrenaline pumping, I'm so ready!!

17. jean marie

I saw on the \"morel sighting\" website that someone found morels in south Missouri yesterday. Got my adrenaline pumping, I\'m so ready!!

18. jean marie

http://morelhunters.com/

19. arkanshrooms

Yeah, Oklahoma too. I posted pictures of the actual finds on Facebook on our Arkansas Mushrooms and Fungi group page.

20. arkanshrooms

The thing is, those finds are really tiny baby morels. It will still be several days before they are mature. When the red bud trees blooms are fully open the morels will be too. I would say this weekend to look really good for them.