Northeast Ohio 2019

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by ksu_shroomer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. ksu_shroomer

ksu_shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Let's talk about the Morels of Northeast Ohio and stuff.

2. ksu_shroomer

ksu_shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Two unrelated finds... Yesterday in Portage County:
    [​IMG]

And today in Summit County:
    [​IMG]

Looks like we're off to a good start!
    Happy hunting, everyone :)

3. Medinacountybrian

Medinacountybrian Morel Enthusiast

With all this rain coming we should be in good shape.

4. bluetick1921

bluetick1921 Morel Connoisseur

Nice finds finally some finds in summit and portage i will be checking my spots this weekend and gathering up some ramps good luck to all hunting

5. Brucellium

Brucellium Morel Enthusiast

Lock ness monster, Bigfoot, and morels in Ohio!! First year of morel hunting and beginning to think like that!! Lol. Saw a mink, a raccoon, a snake , a pair of wood ducks, a common merganser , white trillium, red trillium, spring beauty , yellow trout Lilly and mayapple. Not one morel. Looking in a river valley. Am I doing somrthing wrong or is it just too early or am I legally blind. Great day but empty cast iron pan!!

6. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I've always heard to go high on south facing hillsides early, and this is early in NE Ohio. Heck, I found the first dandelion in my yard yesterday doing yard work. Forsythia is blooming, but no dogwoods or apple trees yet. What kind of trees are in the area you're hunting? That can be important.

And ksushroomer, nice going! You're on my latitude (Mahoning Co.), so things should be going here soon.

7. Jomacooso

Jomacooso Morel Enthusiast

EC41BC80-DE17-43A1-BCF3-4A7E11370B66.jpeg Gonna hit my spot tomorrow after work for blacks, will report back. Here’s a pic of one last week that I left to grow!

adamrichard and (deleted member) like this.
  8. John Wasko

John Wasko Morel Enthusiast

Hit my honey holes in Geauga County today to see what’s happening. May apples are just starting to pop up and Ramps are just about 4-6 inches tall. I’m going to give it a week but we’re more like 2 weeks out. Cold weather the next couple days won’t help matters but the rain should.

1 person likes this.
  9. Brucellium

Brucellium Morel Enthusiast

The high areas near me are way behind the river valley as far as wildflowers, etc. it's mixed hardwoods mostly. Cherry , oak , maple , sycamore, some beech, ash, elm

1 person likes this.
  10. Jomacooso

Jomacooso Morel Enthusiast

5 days after the last picture. Went to my
    Spot today and noticed about 4 more popped up. Was honestly expecting to see a lot more so I’m kind of disappointed. 937CF6A9-CCB2-4EA7-9440-A6403BCBEE5E.jpeg

11. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

This rain should help, but the cold temps the next couple of nights might knock them back a bit. Prepare for a secondary flush!

Medinacountybrian likes this.
  12. adamrichard

adamrichard Morel Enthusiast

Hey, everybody! This is my first year going out for the hunt. I've gained permission to explore some private land near Ravenna and was curious if I have a shot finding any this Saturday. Thanks for the insight and good luck to everybody out there.

13. bluetick1921

What k

14. bluetick1921

What kinda trees are on the land i am thinking by sat they will definitely be up in the area a few have ben found in summit almost to boarder of Portage i have mot found eny yet but i found my first one may 6 of last year and the weather this week should be good check out the the great morel site they have a siteing map that is very helpful good luck to you buddy

15. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Welcome to the site AdamRichard! Definitely get out & hunt as much as You can! G'Luck to Ya!

adamrichard and (deleted member) like this.
  16. bluetick1921

Still no mushrooms i am thinking by the weekend beginning of next week i should be on them headed to gurneys this weekend to hunt for them and then hit my home spots Sunday so if the good lord is willing and the creeks dont rise i find them good luck to hunting them

1 person likes this.
  17. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Ok there, sounds like a very good plan.
    Have fun & don’t feed the tick’s!

1 person likes this.
  18. bluetick1921

I had one hitchhiker on me Friday so i got tick spray now lol

1 person likes this.
  19. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Sad thing, but the Family will now have closure. Didnt hear of this one. A month ago, I read an article that this happens every couple years or so. Mostly, cause Mushroom Hunters tend to get n the Thick & Hairy parts of the woods, others might not often venture.