Northeast Ohio 2019

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by ksu_shroomer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. bluetick1921

bluetick1921 Morel Connoisseur

YA IT IS SAB YOUR RIGHT THE FAMLIEY WILL HAVE CLOSURE NOW

Zabz likes this.
  2. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

I looked in Summit and Medina yesterday, may apples still coming up. Dryads Saddles barely poking out. Late next week I think, not gonna stir up leaves for babies.

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Got out today and looked around the sugar maple grove and some tulip trees that I know about in Mahoning Co. Nothing doing. Looking at the pics from southern Ohio their woods are way ahead of anything happening around here! Tomorrow is yard work. Maybe this weekend.

4. Jomacooso

Jomacooso Morel Enthusiast

i also went out again today and didn’t see much improvement in my spots.

1 person likes this.
  5. shroomsearcher

Took a soil temp reading this PM. Still hovering around the mid-50's. We did get a little rain mid-day. The big storm went south of me through Canfield, Boardman, Poland area, which means it probably hit my main hunting area pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  6. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Jomacooso -- Really great Black Morel Picture. Thanks.

7. adamrichard

adamrichard Morel Enthusiast

Interesting! What soil temperature do you look for?

8. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

I see a lot of posts about south and central ohio, some in prime time, some barely beginning. Then one person in portage/summit saying theres action. I think Ohio has a lot of micro climates, valleys and hills and what not. I think realistically NE will be first week in may, just like usual, despite the warmer than normal temps.

9. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

You'll go crazy trying to guess where to look based on other people's reports hahha

Jomacooso and adamrichard like this.
  10. adamrichard

adamrichard Morel Enthusiast

Great tip - I guess it doesn't hurt to start looking now so long as expectations are adjusted accordingly. I plan to go out this weekend... if there are no mushrooms, I'll at least still have my binos for the warblers passing through!

11. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

Last year I had an ok season and thought it was over, then I was relieving myself in my friends backyard and saw a fresh yellow. So I went back to spot that didnt produce that year...wham fresh yellows everywhere. NE ohio in particular starts late and goes on either longer or shorter than other seasons. So weird.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jomacooso

Jomacooso Morel Enthusiast

This is some I found last year on this date. This year I have found about 10 in the same spot about half the size. 7A604AB8-E089-45B2-AA13-CE7D6C0DA770.jpeg

adamrichard likes this.
  13. bluetick1921

bluetick1921 Morel Connoisseur

IN AGREE I AM IN SUMMIT AND HAVE FOUND NOTHING MY FIRST FINDS WERE MAY 6TH LAST YEAR

Zabz likes this.
  14. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

Nothing in Wayne County either.

Zabz likes this.
  15. Funginista

Funginista Morel Enthusiast

I have found a couple dozen blacks in Summit County, though they are not nearly as prolific as in past years.

16. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

Southern Summit co? I mean the dryads saddles and may apples are barely up where I look

17. Seth Leedy

Seth Leedy Morel Enthusiast

Some were found around Loudonville and Millersburg this past week.
    I've been out to see some new areas. Nothing yet.
    Holmes County area has started.

18. Funginista

Funginista Morel Enthusiast

Yep, southern Summit... I have been in places (in both southern AND northern Summit county) that have may apples a foot tall and leaves wide open. Of course, less than few miles away, the may apples are barely popping! Craziness!

Oh, and the poison ivy is now making its debut... already, nearly 10 inches tall!

Zabz and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Medinacountybrian

Medinacountybrian Morel Enthusiast

In Medina county past 5 years my finds start around May 5th. I know they start early in micro climates. My cousin found blacks up north by Cleveland in one spot last week. So they are out there, just hard to find. Good luck to everyone. I have a good feeling about this year.

Zabz and (deleted member) like this.
  20. shroomsearcher

I like for it to get up around 60.

I've been looking at the same thing. Some folks south of I-70 are going berserk, while others are saying things are just getting started! I like the nice gradual warm up we've been having with decent, regular rainfall, but the warm up seems to have gotten a bit too gradual! I'm in Mahoning Co., and we always seem to be one of the last of the last!
    All you can do is keep hunting.

2 people like this.