Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went back to northern Hocking county yesterday. Found greys and a few blacks on Saturday, yesterday i found all yellows. Funny thing, a clump of elms that produced the greys on Saturday give me the yellows yesterday. A total of 60 mushrooms from that one tree in 4 days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see a lot of posts about south and central ohio, some in prime time, some barely beginning. Then one person in portage/summit saying theres action. I think Ohio has a lot of micro climates, valleys and hills and what not. I think realistically NE will be first week in may, just like usual, despite the warmer than normal temps.
I
I agree with that. First week of May they should be up. Heck when i was a kid the old guys would go out on mothers day and always come back with a grocerybag full!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found 50+ on grandma's property in Columbiana county. 30 min south of youngstown. All under living apple trees. left 50+ more because they were tiny to see if they keep growing. will post pictures when I can.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your post fills me with hope! I hunt Mahoning Co. and in Lawrence Co., PA just across the line. Heading out tomorrow PM to see if anything is happening in my area.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Saw no morels today, but found a whole new patch of ramps by accident! Growing right beside the road! Looked over and thought, "Hey, those look like ramps!" Stopped and checked and they sure were. Didn't know who owned the land so I left them alone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi all!! Glad to see everyone survived the winter and wind storms. I’ve been out a few times this spring and have a handful of blacks and spikes to show for it. Things look very close!! Hopefully my work schedule doesn’t get in the way. One of my favorite spots became off limits this year so I’ll be searching for a new honey hole.

·
Registered
58 Posts
~70+ yesterday in Portage County. Mostly blacks, a few half-frees, and one little gray.
Season's off to a great start in these parts. Happy hunting, all!
Hey ksu. I see you have your mushrooms on dehydrato trays. Never tried drying them in a dehydrator,however I remember some old timers that used to sting thrm up with fishing line but but dont recall eber eating them once they werr rehydratef. Whats your thoughts on eating them after.

·
Registered
496 Posts
In my humble opinion, it's the best (and easiest) way to store/preserve morels and a reconstituted dried morel is almost as good as a fresh.
And yeah, before I had a dehydrator, I used many different methods for drying, including stringing them up like fish!
I've dried them on window screens on sunny days. Only problem is, once they get close to perfectly dry a little breeze can blow them off! I bought a cheap dehydrator at Aldi's for about $25 three years ago. It works beautifully. Load the trays, plug it in before going to bed, and wake up to perfectly dried shroom! Easy peasy!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I stretch out some cheese cloth and put a fan set on low blowing over the cut in half morels. Takes about 2-3 days depending on humidity. I like the cheese cloth because it kind of grabs onto the dehydrated morels so they don’t blow away

41 - 60 of 120 Posts