Northeast Ohio 2019

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by ksu_shroomer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. ksu_shroomer

ksu_shroomer Morel Connoisseur

In my humble opinion, it's the best (and easiest) way to store/preserve morels and a reconstituted dried morel is almost as good as a fresh.
    And yeah, before I had a dehydrator, I used many different methods for drying, including stringing them up like fish!

1 person likes this.
  2. ksu_shroomer

Call it morel abuse, but I couldn't help but pick this teeny tiny little guy and snap a photo. Might be my smallest find, yet!
    [​IMG]

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I've dried them on window screens on sunny days. Only problem is, once they get close to perfectly dry a little breeze can blow them off! I bought a cheap dehydrator at Aldi's for about $25 three years ago. It works beautifully. Load the trays, plug it in before going to bed, and wake up to perfectly dried shroom! Easy peasy!

2 people like this.
  4. the shroominator

the shroominator Morel Connoisseur

I stretch out some cheese cloth and put a fan set on low blowing over the cut in half morels. Takes about 2-3 days depending on humidity. I like the cheese cloth because it kind of grabs onto the dehydrated morels so they don’t blow away

5. the shroominator

the shroominator Morel Connoisseur

Nice finds everyone!!! I hope to find areas where I can find as many black morels as you KSU!! I’m sure you’ve certainly put in your time for those spots

6. John Wasko

John Wasko Morel Enthusiast

Been checking the last couple weeks and haven’t seen much action. Check the same grounds today and hitting the mother load for grey’s. I’m in northern Geauga southern Lake County. The next couple weeks should be something to remember!!

Attached Files:

7. ksu_shroomer

Thanks, Shroominator. I've definitely worn out a few pairs of boots! :D

@John Wasko, if those grays are on private land, consider letting 'em go another 4-5 days. You'll be glad you did! But I'm betting you know that, already... mostly adding it for rookies :)
    These were in Portage County today and definitely NOT on private property, so they came home with me!
    [​IMG]

GoatMomma, Inthewild, Zabz and 3 others like this.
  8. John Wasko

Rain started so I quit. Ended with 20 greys and 28 half frees. The three small greys were broke off and laying on the forest floor so I grabbed them. Pleasantly surprised considering it’s been so cool up here and things haven’t really got going.

Attached Files:

9. shroomsearcher

First finds in Mahoning Co. today for me. A few fresh yellows and some greys, I think. Never found greys there so not sure, but they sure look like pics of greys I've seen here. I took the yellows because they were growing right beside the 2 track I was hiking in on! I could see where an ATV had almost run them over! and I took some of the greys because, never finding them before, I really don't know how big they get. I did cover up some real tiny ones.

We're just getting started here. The apples trees aren't fully bloomed, and I only saw a couple of dogwoods in bloom and this woods is full of them. The place is also lousy with Dryad's Saddle, and I only saw two new sprouts about the size of silver dollars. Hopefully a long way to go.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jomacooso

Jomacooso Morel Enthusiast

I can’t wait for the weekend. This hot rainy weather the next couple days is gonna be great!

1 person likes this.
  11. John Wasko

AMEN!!!

12. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

Still oddly quiet in Wayne County.

13. bluetick1921

bluetick1921 Morel Enthusiast

How long does morels stay good for after dehydrated and put in glass jars

1 person likes this.
  14. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Shame........ :(

ktag and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Old Elm

I store em dried in sealed caning jars with a bit of uncooked rice, they’ll last years that way, but we always seem to eat em up.

16. bluetick1921

I did not put rice in jar is there a way to tell if they are bad

1 person likes this.
  17. Old Elm

Just reconstitute em

1 person likes this.
  18. shroomsearcher

I agree. Give the soil temps a little kick in the pants! I killed myself in the heat today trying to get ahead of the yard work so I can go hunt this weekend.

Plus, I installed the software that should have allowed me to download pics from my camera, but no go! And now I'm getting messages from "Nikon Message Center 2" about updates! AAAARRRGGGHH!! Why can't anything be simple?

1 person likes this.
  19. bluetick1921

I was going to do that but didn't know if there was away to tell if they had gone bad this month is new to me i have 2 different jars one i air dried and they feel like paper and the other jar i dehydrated and they are hard and crispy thank you for your advise good luck on your hunts this and every season

20. John Wasko

What a day! 53 total in Lake County. Some were as big as my hand. Mostly blacks with a couple greys mixed in plus 2 perfect pheasant backs!!! Still a bunch of hunting left too!!!

Attached Files:

ktag, Inthewild, Jomacooso and 2 others like this.