Northeast Ohio 2019

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by ksu_shroomer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. GoatMomma

GoatMomma Young Morel

Could you share how long it took to find the pile of morels in your post. Or/and how long in general it take to find morels in Portage County. I must be doing something wrong cause I’ve only ever found one morel at a time, never a “honey pot”.

2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

There are no shortcuts. We all have "indicators" that we watch which will give us a hint of when to get out there. Where is another question. I looked 2 whole seasons before I found any, and still haven't found any flushes of "mother lode" quantity! Plus, every year is different. This one seems to be shaping up as a good one, so get out there and look around.

One thing that helps me is that I've heard that kids are good at spotting them because of their lower point of view. And maybe because they have fresher eyes! Anyway, when I hit a spot that looks "shroomy", or where I've found them before, I'll put my hands on my knees and bend over. I scan around, starting at my feet and working outward. Many times I've done this and said, "Oh! There's one!" And I'll keep looking and spot another. The most I've spotted from any one vantage point was 5.

Might not sound like many, but I'm thankful for every one I get.

GoatMomma likes this.

3. Jomacooso

Jomacooso Morel Enthusiast

Checked my yellow spot this morning. 45A387D3-9517-4595-B3B0-255832809759.jpeg 4648DFA2-802E-49FD-8DB4-A6F5D1EAEF0A.jpeg

4. John Wasko

John Wasko Morel Enthusiast

1 person likes this.
  5. Jomacooso

6. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Jomacooso likes this.
  7. cooley

cooley Morel Connoisseur

Jomacooso you finding many because my yellow spots here in Trumbull have produced 0 as of right now!

Jomacooso likes this.
  8. Jomacooso

This spot in particular had about a dozen and a half or so of pretty big ones already. My newer spot has about the same amount but much smaller. Hope it dries up a bit and you find some.

9. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

Stark county today.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. John Wasko

John Wasko Morel Enthusiast

Thanks! I’ve been finding some real nice greys and blacks in Lake / Geauga county but haven’t seen any yellows yet. Will be looking in the morning.

11. Aja

Aja Morel Enthusiast

On the board in mahoning county 20190505_102943.jpg

12. Grady

Grady Young Morel

All I found today in Carroll county. Anyone try one of these?

Attached Files:

13. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Lions mane: It's a good edible. You can saute it in butter & salt, soft or crispy. I'm preferring crispy on the outer edges nowadays.

Also known as a medicinal mushroom. I dry over half of what I find, then powder it and add it to cooked cereals, pancakes. I don't bother putting it into capsules, though I purchased it that way for years before harvesting it myself.

I harvest it at every opportunity

1 person likes this.
  14. ksu_shroomer

ksu_shroomer Morel Connoisseur

I'm not totally sure I understand your question, GoatMomma. I've been hunting the woods in and around my little town for about 20 years. When the season's in full swing, I usually spend more time picking than I do hunting. Some areas make a few morels, other areas make a ton... so how long did it take me to get that mess of them in the picture? It took years! But that day, I was in the woods for an hour or two. Doesn't help, I know...
    You're probably not doing anything "wrong", just keep looking and exploring new areas! Good luck and happy hunting!

GoatMomma likes this.
  15. GoatMomma

GoatMomma Young Morel

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement. I’ll keep hunting and enjoying every one I find.

16. GoatMomma

GoatMomma Young Morel

Thanks for the information - I will definitely recruit my kids to help. Even when I don’t find a morel I always come home with a variety of other edibles, so I’ll continue the hunt and keep my eyes on the ground! Hope you have a great season.

17. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

First of the year for Wayne county.

18. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Is this early for Lions mane?

19. GoatMomma

GoatMomma Young Morel

Seek and ye shall find....
    677C8B82-9822-4755-BAEA-BE852380F2A1.jpeg 3F437FA0-4916-4A4A-810A-E3450A2688A7.jpeg Never give up! Finally found a bunch in Portage County!

ktag, Zabz, Jomacooso and 3 others like this.
  20. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Good idea about the kids. Go on Google Images and show them lots of pics of morels! Helps train the brain to spot that particular shape. After hunting for so long without finding any, I was beginning to feel a lot of self doubt. Was I looking at them and just not seeing them? So I looked at lots of pictures. When I spotted that first one, there was no doubt about it! Good luck to you as well.