Northeast Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by seasonal forager, Mar 2, 2013.

1. pratherpea52

pratherpea52 Morel Enthusiast

Found 8 round Okmulgee lake

2. seasonal forager

seasonal forager Morel Enthusiast

went looking for the first time of the season today. Didn't find anything in my spot that is known to produce, but I only got to look for an hour. Won't get to get back out until like Tuesday.

3. ndwoods

ndwoods Morel Enthusiast

Im back Santa and my spots are loaded with lil uns here in Sand springs! I think ill try and find some new patches this year!

4. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Connoisseur

ndwoods: welcome back been lookin for ya, Like yours my spots are lookin good. Had "all you can eat buffet" last night. LOL Step son found 165 Fri. in Mannford and Terlton. Gonna be a banner year!!!! Again welcome back.

5. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Found 8 today in Bville. All fresh greys. Now they are popping the cool weather and rain will extend the season. Also have 7 growing in yard right off back deck.

6. homebrewer

homebrewer Young Morel

Is anyone going out in the tulsa/ba area this saturday or sunday? I've tried and tried to find some of these for the past 2 years with no success. this year I want to find some! I can do the driving or meet anywhere.

7. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Found 77 today Washington county. All fresh. Most still small

8. homebrewer

homebrewer Young Morel

Found 2 fat yellows out in east broken arrow! My first find ever!! They tasted awesome. Plan on hunting more in the morning!

9. seasonal forager

congrats homebrewer!

I really want to get out and look but work is killing me. Might go tomorrow evening, but definitely Tuesday.

10. ticks

ticks Young Morel

I just moved to Bville OK from Washington DC and i am looking for someone from my area to hunt with or if someone could shoot me some pointers. i would greatly appreciated it..
    I have been out twice with no luck.. I have only 2 seasons worth experience in other states.
    Thanks
    Ticks

11. homebrewer

homebrewer Young Morel

Thanks SeasonalForager! Hey I went out the day after to the same spot we found the 2 fat yellows, and there was nothing new. Do you normally see them pop up from the same spot over several days? or does one spot produce and then quit?

12. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Found 75 yesterday in Washington county over couple hrs. Starting to dry out but plenty of fresh ones too. Still mostly small yellows but a few giants. River bottoms are not producing for me. Small dying elms with cedars nearby. Don't forget to look in the thickets. If you aren't scratched up with tick bites and poison ivy your bag may be empty. With the rain and cool temps this week the weekend looks awesome.

13. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Ticks, pathfinder is good place to start. You can actually spot them from trail if know how to look. I hunt mostly private land though but hunted in town until I found access. The problem in town is the grass gets tall too fast.
    Homebrewer, after the rain recheck your spots. Or every 2-3 days. I usually pull a few from spots that previously produced. But it seems that you only get one good haul a year from each. Our season is typically short in Oklahoma. This year may be the exception.

14. thelefty1minus1

thelefty1minus1 Morel Enthusiast

yesterday in prairie grove, aprox 15 minutes from westville, i found a dozen niceNfresh yellow ones. they were all located on the west side bank of a creek & in a group of young sycamores, about 8ft tall. biggest shroom i found was 8in & the smallest wouldnt of fit on a peice of bread crust, lol. got a few that were only 2in also. normally i'd leave those to grow some but the critters would have gotten them b4 i did. not too worried about people in this spot. its at a 45* angle, lol.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    to the pros:
    what are your thoughts on the chances of more coming up over the next week or two? i'm still a newbie to this, have only 4 seasons. thanks for your input =]
    ~rhonda

15. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

I think the prime will be late this week if we get rain. This cool (hopefully wet) weather is going to be good for us now.

16. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Connoisseur

Found another 42 yesterday between Sand Springs and Skiatook, this rain we are about to get will make them pop really good, but you have to look for them, the grass is going to be really high.

17. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Found 65 this eve. 2lbs. All fresh. Still plenty of greys. Only a few giants.

18. seasonal forager

Looked for a few hours today in Bville and I found one. Its kinda wind burnt and had tiny bugs in it. Still very happy that I found at least one mushroom this year.

19. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Went out with a rookie to new places and brought in 2 lbs. We have another convert I believe.

20. seasonal forager

wow, you really have some hot spots. I've gone back to all the places I have found them and there is nothing. The morel I found today was in a totally new place where i've never had luck.