Northeast Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by seasonal forager, Mar 2, 2013.

1. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Can't seem to break 2 lbs. found same today. I also need to raise mower . Ran over the top of 2 while mowing. River bottoms are just now starting for me.

2. capt_ rob

capt_ rob Young Morel

I found 5 morels (I think they are yellows) growing in my front yard yesterday under an elm tree. I live south of Bixby on 4 acres. I have a creek running through my property with lots of elms and other trees in the bottom. Any suggestions where to look?

3. santa shroom

santa shroom Morel Connoisseur

Search the whole 4 acres. Won't take long and could be productive.

4. santa shroom

Seasonal Forager : Have you searched the Caney river bottoms? Also a ways from you but a productive spot is the Hula Lake area.

5. santa shroom

I found 36 fresh ones yesterday, this is gonna be a extra long season.

6. flatbottomfrank

flatbottomfrank Morel Enthusiast

As of right now I'm not sure how many I have found. Started about 9 days ago in and around Tulsa area have found somewhere between 150-200. Not sure about weight if I had to guess somewhere about 15+ pounds. Mostly in areas with elms and sycamores, black rich soils, heavily wooded bottom areas and around small creeks and drainages. Until this year most of my morels were found in more hilly areas in eastern Ok and central Ar. Never had much luck around Tulsa, but I really put the hours in this year hitting lots of new spots, and spending lots of time combing the areas. Everytime I went out and quickly walked about scanning I found nothing, but if I slowed down and really paid attention and re-looked in the spots where I found them I always came home with 15-30 everytime I went out! Never found a super honey hole with morels everywhere. In fact this year I rarely found two even within 20 feet of each other. All my came from lots of miles, ticks, and briars. Good Luck I bet we have about another week especially in the hollers and bottom lands.

7. capt_ rob

capt_ rob Young Morel

How long do morels keep after they have been picked? Is there anything special I should do with them once picked?

Thanks,

Capt. Rob

8. santa shroom

Capt. Rob- we always soak ours in water, clean them and put them in the fridge with water on them, till we cook them.

9. dode

dode Young Morel

hello all! i'm new here, but have always wanted to hunt morels. until now, i just never had the time. wondering if there's anybody in the tulsa/jenks area that wouldn't mind showing a noob the ropes. i'm a quick study, and not afraid to get dirty. ;)

dode

10. flatbottomfrank

flatbottomfrank Morel Enthusiast

Dode If I lived in Jenks I would be checking along that creek that crosses 75 around 91st. Just go slow and look in areas with elms and sycamores. go slow and look thoroughly. If you find one don't rush for it but neal down and look all around. Thats the best advice I can give. Until this year I have always hunted private areas, but this year Ive gone to public wild spaces and found tons, so good luck.

11. dode

dode Young Morel

we take our dog to that creek every morning for a romp in the park. i'll try to spend more time there this week. thanks!

12. capt_ rob

capt_ rob Young Morel

Found 6 nice yellows yesterday on my property. I'd post a picture but am too computer challenged to figure it out.

13. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

3 lbs today. Would have done better if lightning would have stayed away.

14. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Wow! Found 12 lbs this morning. Left many cause bags were full. Be back out when feet get dry.

15. thelefty1minus1

thelefty1minus1 Morel Enthusiast

HOPPY-what area of the state are you looking in? i'm in western wahington co, ar & up untill the 24th was still finding about a dozen a day. havent been out since. heading out tomorrow. yeppers, we sure got a lot of rain!

16. sapworm7979

sapworm7979 Morel Connoisseur

Found a seven pound sack full and quit. Same here left a lot because I have about got enough to last the winter and I do not sell. Might go one more trip if the dehydrator holds out. Too wet for outdoor drying.

17. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

Rgd, I am also in Washington county. Went back for another nine pounds this afternoon. 90% were fresh. Still some small greys.

18. thelefty1minus1

thelefty1minus1 Morel Enthusiast

hoppy~wouldnt it be a kick in the butt if we found them up til may!?! lol! i'm in the pg area & ♥'n this late season. 'course i'm still a newbie, only my 5 season to hunt, so i honestly dont know how much longer we can expect/hope to find them. this has been a record year for me. a bunch of bunches of luck to ya!
    ~rhonda

19. hoppy

hoppy Morel Enthusiast

It will still be on for another week in northern ok. Found another 6 lbs this morning. All fresh. Several 1" tall. Still finding beefsteaks too. All of my finds this weekend were new locations for me.

20. splashroom33

splashroom33 Young Morel

Im am from Illinois just recently moved to sand springs. I have been hunting in nearby woods and around lake keystone for the last month and have found zero mushys. My grandma and I would find pounds every year up north but im sure she had her spots. I know no one wants to give up there spots but if I could atleast get a hint in the right direction or area I would appreciate it. My wife is from tulsa and has never had or heard of them. It has been several years since grandma past so I havent hunted in a long time. Any help at all will be great

Thank you