Northern IL

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by tta1401, Apr 6, 2013.

1. shroomdonger

shroomdonger Morel Connoisseur

Found fresh yellows this morning in northern Bureau county.

2. ralphmeister

ralphmeister Morel Enthusiast

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

3. dwak

dwak Morel Enthusiast

It really is. It's not just with that either. I usually can't get myself to go home until it's getting dark. I just keep thinking "I'm just gona look under this one more tree, oh look at that tree, ok just THIS one more tree." And it goes on like that into eternity. The other day I walked for 7 hours straight. But yea, there are worse addictions for sure. Ha

4. phillip bags

phillip bags Morel Enthusiast

Anybody know what the going rate per pound is in Chicago this year?

If anyone is looking to buy morels in bulk for resale, please let me know and we can work something out to benefit both sides. Thank you very much.

P. Bags

5. dan stef outdoors

dan stef outdoors Morel Enthusiast

Found 3 yesterday starting to rot, whah, whah, whaaaa. sucks.

6. newbe t

newbe t Young Morel

First time posting but have been following for a couple months. I found my first morel, THEY REALLY DO EXIST, I have about 10 acres in western Ogle County and have been searching a couple hours every day or every other day for over a month and today was going to be my last day for this season at least, but now things have changed. Its funny how finding just one reinvigorates the drive. I will try to post a pic, I had already cut it in half so it looks like two but unfortunately its just one. I think last nights rain brought it out and more rain is predicted so i'll check again tomorrow. My advice to other newbies like me, don't give up. It was on north side of a line of trees, 6' in off a mowed trail, not much cover.

7. newbe t

newbe t Young Morel

sorry, cant figure out how to post pics,

8. umami

umami Morel Enthusiast

Hey folks finally found a decent pile of morels, about 20 yellows and grays at my grandpa's in Lake Geneva. I noticed some of them had what I think is mold on them, it is a white fuzz. Is this edible? If not can it be trimmed off and the rest of the mushroom saved?

9. morehel

morehel Morel Enthusiast

White Fuzz? Where did you find them in a basement?

Slice Morel lengthwise, in half. Clean out any roly-poly, spiders, ants, centipedes or any other undesirable wildlife ( I found a bivouac of ants in one). Rinse in cold water (some add salt. Eh, don't think necessary.) One can use a salad spinner if very careful. Dry thoroughly, with paper or dish towel. Gently tap for remaining creatures Be gentle, what falls off is gone, what stays is protein. First look for - remaining dirt, moss, "fuzzy white mold", slugs and rotten parts - then trim with sharp parring knife.

Slice and prepare as desired. I stuffed the halves, with another member's recipe (of course, slightly modified); fine chopped, sausage, onion and mushroom, sautéd down. let to cool and mixed with cream cheese. Then stuffed the halves placed on a cast-iron pan morels down. Little butter and olive oil for flavor and non-stick, also a little cholesterol. I put my pan right on the grill after cooking my steaks. After the water cooks out they are ready.

Sprinkle some parmesan and little fresh parsley. I served them on a leaf of lettuce. You know what to do with them next, Right?

Next time think I'll try something different. Maybe just breadcrumbs and cheese with a little drip of salsa? or olive tapenade? hmmmmmm? Ahhh! cant wait for next season.

Cheers all Morel heads!

10. louise

louise Young Morel

Found some! I think they are "yellow". I'm def a newbie.. what say you about these folks: [​IMG]

I am located in the Bloomingdale/Schaumburg, IL area.

Not sure if that photo will work. We'll see.

11. trapsteve

trapsteve Young Morel

Been following this site for a couple months, thought I'd post, found 58 yellows on Thursday may 16th and on the 17th found 178 yellows.

12. littlefoot

littlefoot Young Morel

Unbelievable. After weeks of looking and zilch! Just decided that with the rains it might be still possible and happily I just found 3 - one yellow medium, slightly dry; one nice larger yellow, fresh, 4" ; one slightly mashed (by knee, dang!) medium yellow. Who would have guessed? I 'd still be out there except came the thunder and the rain. Don't know how to post pictures or I would - you'll just have to take my word for it! I will definitely be out early in the morning.

13. littlefoot

littlefoot Young Morel

Sorry. I found the three in DeKalb county - May 22, my first find of the season. I thought the TAG would post DeKalb county but it didn't show. I like to know where people are when they have their finds.

14. blueberrylady

blueberrylady Young Morel

Just got my first find for this year. Almost 2 lbs in one area. Went out this morning thinking I would give it one last shot. Thought for sure that this would be the year I didn't find any. Southeast Dupage Co

15. dbowhntr

dbowhntr Morel Enthusiast

Last time I went out was Friday, 5/17, found about 75. Most were decent a few nice and fresh, some starting to dry and another dozen or so were too far gone to pick. One beauty was enough to fill my hand, bigger than a baseball and really meaty. I think I'm done for this year, found over 700. Sounds like there could still be some out there worth picking, though.

One thing I feel I must comment on. In another post there is a link to a list of four things not to do if you want to be more successful. One of those things is the suggestion to not weigh yourself down with unecessary bulk. Good idea, in general. However, it specifically mentions to not bring water, as if this will make hunters more successful. This is horrible, irresponsible advice. Always bring water, folks. Always. 16 ounces of water weighs one pound; carrying that will not tire you out in any appreciable way and it is something that your body needs in the most critical way. Always. Bring. Water.

16. david - sw il

david - sw il Morel Connoisseur

Late report but better than never. Patrick and I just plain tore it up in N IL last weekend! We picked over 40 pounds, just incredible morel hunting. 2 different dead elms had 200+ under them, one 8 pounds and the other between 5-6. Several other trees had 80-100. We couldn't empty our bags fast enough!

Pics are of the two monster puker trees, and my half of the haul - 18 pounds. Patrick brought home 25 pounds, which included what he found on his own on Thursday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. morelo

morelo Young Morel

Very nice! Just please don't tell us you were on public property lol

18. dont_tell_morel

dont_tell_morel Young Morel

We just about didn't go hunting yesterday, but then I remembered my Dad's comment, "People make the mistake of stopping to hunt too early." He was right. Found several pounds of huge morels in DuPage. Yum! We're going to experiment this time by wrapping some in bacon, and filling them with goat cheese for a Memorial Day morel "banquet."

[​IMG]

19. carpet crawler

carpet crawler Morel Connoisseur

My buddy went out today and found 70 coming up through the pine needles.Half were good the other were to far gone.Winnebago County.CC 8-O

20. umami

umami Morel Enthusiast

Just moving this thread back to the home page. I'm getting excited, should only be a few more weeks. :lol: