Northern Illinois

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by carpet crawler, May 2, 2018.

1. carpet crawler

carpet crawler Morel Enthusiast

Looks like we are on the edge of finally getting some good rain coming our way tonight into tomorrow and tomorrow night after all this heat we had the last few days......I was beginning to worry but with the power of positive thinking and a little prayer and a rain dance things just might come together!!!!!

Immorel and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shroomdog

shroomdog Morel Enthusiast

Saturday looks like it may be perfect. It rained so hard last night. I know I will not be the only one out there.

Immorel likes this.

3. stump

stump Young Morel

should have had rain gauge out! was a good soaking rain well needed!

4. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

Another inch or so tonight could make for a sweet weekend.

1 person likes this.
  5. reggie6567

reggie6567 Morel Enthusiast

I am wondering, with the late cold spring we have been having, conditions are now rapidly improving, but I wonder if the normal markers are not yet there - lilacs in bloom, etc. What other markers should we look for?

6. carpet crawler

carpet crawler Morel Enthusiast

Dandelions and elm leaves the size of a mouse ear are good signs.Once the dandelions go to seed they say the seasons almost over.

7. smorels

smorels Morel Enthusiast

My early spot finally has some growth. Too small to pick but next weekend should be bananas. The season will probably be short and fast.

Immorel likes this.
  8. stump

stump Young Morel

when the lilacs bloom,cut the lawn 3 times,oak leaves the size of mouse ears.This year I think it my be a different animal !

9. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Enthusiast

I usually just go by this one..."When you go look and find some, they are up"

10. Already Gone

indi 5-4-18.jpg When this tree blooms...

Attached Files:

11. Already Gone

Ya gotta look long and hard this year. They are hiding well. 20180514_105758.jpg 20180514_105910.jpg 20180514_112052.jpg

Curiousmush90 and beagleboy like this.
  12. Already Gone

This is my reward for an hour in the woods between the rains today. 20180514_131118_001.jpg Like gramps used to say, "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick." That almost happened today. Be careful! Stray safe.

Immorel and beagleboy like this.
  13. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Going out today to check my spots. Been out several times so far and haven’t seen anything. Maybe today, after all this rain, will be good.
    - Northwestern Suburbs of Chicago.

14. misskay

misskay Morel Connoisseur

Going today to see what's going on ....been out few times in dupage and nothing yet...hooefully the rain helped!

Immorel likes this.
  15. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Went out in Dupage yesterday and found 5 medium sized morels. I think this weekend might be pretty good.

2 people like this.
  16. misskay

misskay Morel Connoisseur

Nice! Ill let you know what I find today :)

Immorel likes this.
  17. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Good luck out there! I hope you find a bunch.
    Yesterday the ground was still very wet and puddled up a bit. I bet the sun helps out nicely over the next 24-72 hours.

18. fish4life

fish4life Morel Enthusiast

I have hit a few of my spots nothing, found 3 yesterday but looked like it was pick over found a few picked stems, been a tough year so far hope this weekend is it

Immorel likes this.