Northern ky

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by jand, Apr 15, 2015.

1. jand

jand Morel Enthusiast

Was wandering if any one has gotten any in nky yet.Im thinking it might be too early for yellows or greys but blacks might be up and if so around what kind of trees and soil.

2. shendrick36

shendrick36 Morel Enthusiast

Black's is all I've found so far and not many. Very small

3. dallas050

dallas050 Young Morel

I found 48 grays in southern KY last weekend and my brother, found small grays in southern Indiana Monday. So, grays should be up in northern KY. Hopefully you find some soon. You should have good luck this week for sure, or this weekend.

4. ricard76

ricard76 Morel Connoisseur

I've been finding blacks in Jefferson county since 4/6 and my son found 40 half frees and a couple of small grays in another part of the county. Found 11 fresh blacks today. Finding these on poplar/hickory ridges.

5. ff8517

ff8517 Young Morel

On Sunday found 4 greys in Greenup County. I went to my early spot that should have had a ton of blacks,but looked for an hour and found the 4 greys . I'm hoping this Sunday will be better.

6. 1nokdup

1nokdup Young Morel

Went in the woods yesterday in NKY, Gallatin Co. May apples coming up, no morels.

7. radone

radone Young Morel

gotta be getting close folks

8. shendrick36

shendrick36 Morel Enthusiast

9 nice Black's today in Breckinridge co Ky. Weekend should be prime.

9. ricard76

Picked 64 in Jefferson today. 47 half frees, 11 greys and 6 yellows. Greys and yellows were all less than 3 inches tall. Picked them anyway since there was someone else picking that area today.

10. mjmarch2

mjmarch2 Young Morel

Was thinking it was going to be another disappointing year, but found a few small blacks in grant county KY today. Hopefully they are just running a little late because of the weather. Conditions seem perfect to me! Also checked in SW Ohio yesterday after work and found nothing.

11. charmsie

charmsie Young Morel

Went hunting in Boone Co today. didn't find any but the woods look great. Maybe still a little early?

12. prentz15

prentz15 Young Morel

We went out last Sunday April 12th in Boone County and didn't find any either. Maybe this weekend.

13. jand

jand Morel Enthusiast

Been out the past 2 days and checked all my spots for grays and yellows. or just yellows and immature yellows. Last year they were up about may 4 so im thinking its still a bit early. Happy hunting !!!!!!

14. cgwruck

cgwruck Young Morel

Do you have any help u can offer me I live in Lawrence county, Yatesville lake area. I grew up in Michigan hunting them when I was a kid but moved to Florida for 30 years and until moving here 4 years ago really had not been had the chance. This is a whole new area for me and I'm at a loss on where to look, tops of ridges?, bottoms?, hill sides?, and what direction facing hills? Like I said I'm lost. I see areas that may be good but they don't always meet the correct rule of thumb. Any help would be appreciated. I'm determined to find out where to hunt them here and this summer I'm challenging myself to hunt ginseng. I like being in the woods and we have 400 acres there has to be something out there

15. ky seng

ky seng Young Morel

Went out today in greenup county found 27 blacks small to medium and some other blacks I found were nearly dry. Still a little early. next Sat and the one after Will likely be ideal for my area

16. ky seng

ky seng Young Morel

, I find that most of the time they grow on north facing slopes if your at the top of a hill looking down you want to be facing north or near north. I find them from the top to midway down the hill. Normally poplar trees are ideal also elms. I have hunted morels for 21 years and always wanted to hunt seng but never knew where or what to look for, till last year. All the places I found mushrooms all those years never knew seng liked same conditions. Took me three trips to start finding but once I spotted some and was certain of it i was hooked and had success. I turned out with 1.5 pounds dry at the end of season. By no means is it as simple as morel hunting and you will work your butt off looking and digging but it is addictive so beware. Goodluck

17. jand

jand Morel Enthusiast

19 grey's, early blondes today. In Boone co. All but 2 from one patch. Might be a patch or two up now but I still think its a bit early in the year. Next week should be prime.

18. ricard76

The Jefferson county area is in it's prime for the big yellows. We started finding small 1-3 inch greys last Thursday and I picked 25 yellows greys yesterday that were 3-7 inches tall. Also picked about 4 lbs of dryads saddles. The morels were under ash in a creek bottom and I did find 5 under an apple tree.

19. tsscrapin

tsscrapin Young Morel

Hows it looking? I've not found anything yet in harrison co. But this is my first yr looking.

20. jand

jand Morel Enthusiast

any one been out or seen any in this area yet?