Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling hopeful that this rain will get us all going in the north here. I'm near Cadillac area. We did a little hunting a few weeks ago before the snow, no luck. Starting a new thread and hoping my fellow mushrooming neighbors will join in with their bounty and area found! Good luck everyone

·
Registered
91 Posts
How we looking up north ??
Cheboygan county is at its peak right now for the black morels. But finding will get tough soon due to increased hunting pressure.
The pics are for Saturday and Sunday. Picked about two and a half to three pounds total. The gray morels could start popping this
weekend with all the warmth. Get out there guys before someone beats you to your spot!!

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
We just hunted a little west of Cadillac. Found nothing yet. No crowd though.
Picked these in 1.5 hours last evening (20th of May) in Emmet County. The bigger black morels are showing up now. Northern Michigan
is at its peak right now and will not last much longer than this weekend with all the warm dry weather predicted. I looked for grays and could not find any yet but ground temperature was 52-54 degrees so they could pop any day now. Please get out there morel lovers in Northern Michigan.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked these in 1.5 hours last evening (20th of May) in Emmet County. The bigger black morels are showing up now. Northern Michigan
is at its peak right now and will not last much longer than this weekend with all the warm dry weather predicted. I looked for grays and could not find any yet but ground temperature was 52-54 degrees so they could pop any day now. Please get out there morel lovers in Northern Michigan.
Nice mess Glenn, I knew we We were just a bit earl. Yellows are Here north of Fort Wayne. I hope you continue for a couple weeks. I don’t think we’ll be able to make it up any more this year. I’ll comment if I find any here in knoble county.
Happy hunting !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice mess Glenn, I knew we We were just a bit earl. Yellows are Here north of Fort Wayne. I hope you continue for a couple weeks. I don’t think we’ll be able to make it up any more this year. I’ll comment if I find any here in knoble county.
Happy hunting !
Hi Northern Michigan,

Just keeping everyone updated. This weekend the black morels are still in good shape and yesterday I did start
finding grays but it is too early to pick and get more than a small mess so I am kind of in a lull point. Blacks were
great this May but I have used up all of my spots and I dont like to pick 1-3 inch grays. I think next weekend will
be game on for the esculentes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I saw pictures on Facebook from Alger county but I spent almost 2 weeks up there and only found blacks and one white. I gave up yesterday and went home. It wouldn't hurt to go look.

The whites came and went in Chippewa County. There are still a few out there but everything I am seeing are past eating stage. It was not a good year in the UP for me in Chippewa and Mackinaw counties. We missed all the rain in the middle of May. We got the rain good below the bridge but the fronts would just dry up by the time they got up here. Then when we finally got soaked in the last week of May we broke records for 90 degree temperatures. Everything I was monitoring got destroyed by that. Obviously some whites came up anyway because I found a few recently but it was a far cry from last year. I may try Munising this sunday. That will be it for my morel season. It was a good year for me overall below the bridge. I started picking blacks on May 2 and picked a bunch every weekend through to May 25 Memorial day. About 600 total. Many of the whites got destroyed by the extreme heat wave we had but then I salvaged the year the last two weekends in Emmet county by checking north facing slopes on the higher altitudes. Those are the ones that survived the heat. I picked about 2 pounds on June 7 all in good shape but only picked a total of 140 this year but they were good sized ones so it was enough.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
The whites came and went in Chippewa County. There are still a few out there but everything I am seeing are past eating stage. It was not a good year in the UP for me in Chippewa and Mackinaw counties. We missed all the rain in the middle of May. We got the rain good below the bridge but the fronts would just dry up by the time they got up here. Then when we finally got soaked in the last week of May we broke records for 90 degree temperatures. Everything I was monitoring got destroyed by that. Obviously some whites came up anyway because I found a few recently but it was a far cry from last year. I may try Munising this sunday. That will be it for my morel season. It was a good year for me overall below the bridge. I started picking blacks on May 2 and picked a bunch every weekend through to May 25 Memorial day. About 600 total. Many of the whites got destroyed by the extreme heat wave we had but then I salvaged the year the last two weekends in Emmet county by checking north facing slopes on the higher altitudes. Those are the ones that survived the heat. I picked about 2 pounds on June 7 all in good shape but only picked a total of 140 this year but they were good sized ones so it was enough.
I appreciate your frequent and in depth reporting.

·
Registered
12 Posts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts