Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank You so much for the detailed info! Please let me what you find in the upper up especially Munising!
Heading there soon!!!
Thank you
Hi Auggyfamily,

I did not find any morels in Munising. But this is the first time I ever tried there so still have more work to do. I live in the Sault so its a 2 hour drive one way so I don't get out that way much. I can get down to Cheboygan County in 1.5 hours and emmet county in an hour and I think overall the hunting is better down there. I explored some great hardwoods in Munising. Hilly and very similar to what I like to hunt in northern lower penninsula except for one important exception : I found no ash trees in the spots I checked. I checked tons of Cherry trees because I have read that they can fruit morels and of course I checked a ton of sugar maples. But the go to tree remained elusive to me in Munising. I would love it if someone who has been there can indicate whether or not they exist in Munising or what trees do fruit for them.
I think based on the color of the lilacs that morels would still be ok to eat if I did find any in the higher altitudes of Munising. I'm sure I could have found a few monsters if I would have just went to Emmet county but I am convinced that Munising should produce later season morels so I will keep wondering and thinking about it. But for now my morel season is over until April 2021!

Glenn

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Auggyfamily,

I did not find any morels in Munising. But this is the first time I ever tried there so still have more work to do. I live in the Sault so its a 2 hour drive one way so I don't get out that way much. I can get down to Cheboygan County in 1.5 hours and emmet county in an hour and I think overall the hunting is better down there. I explored some great hardwoods in Munising. Hilly and very similar to what I like to hunt in northern lower penninsula except for one important exception : I found no ash trees in the spots I checked. I checked tons of Cherry trees because I have read that they can fruit morels and of course I checked a ton of sugar maples. But the go to tree remained elusive to me in Munising. I would love it if someone who has been there can indicate whether or not they exist in Munising or what trees do fruit for them.
I think based on the color of the lilacs that morels would still be ok to eat if I did find any in the higher altitudes of Munising. I'm sure I could have found a few monsters if I would have just went to Emmet county but I am convinced that Munising should produce later season morels so I will keep wondering and thinking about it. But for now my morel season is over until April 2021!

Glenn
I had great success last year on this very date outside of Munising in maples with cherry. I'm almost tempted to go up and check those spots one last time. They hadn't produced for me this year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had great success last year on this very date outside of Munising in maples with cherry. I'm almost tempted to go up and check those spots one last time. They hadn't produced for me this year.
Yes I think you should try spots you had success last year on. Let me know if you have success. I wish you well!

Glenn

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a great time in Munising. I picked good days because a cool front moved in and kept it comfortable with minimal mosquitos. The woods I checked were nice for walking and good leaf litter with minimal foliage so the mushrooms would stand out even if they were wilting. And yes the woods were predominately maples plus cherry. I am not surprised though that I didn't find any. That has been the way this season has gone for me. Last year I found morels everywhere but this year only the best of the best spots produced. But I hope to go back and try at Munising another year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Celticcurl,

Long drive and I think its very close to done even in Munising. Next year will be better! We will keep in touch then!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe you can grab Wade and come up here for chanterelle season. It would be fun to see you again and do some nice easy chant picking.
I’ve never really got in to chanterelle hunting but I stumbled upon a couple a few years ago in an area where I found huge boletes (10” diameter caps!) and golden and grey coral mushrooms. Are there specific trees that chants associate with?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts