Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are on in Emmet County Michigan. Pretty small yet but you can get at least enough for breakfast.
Thanks for the report Glen. The family and I will be up the weekend of May14th, hope it wont be too late.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the report Glen. The family and I will be up the weekend of May14th, hope it wont be too late.
Hi MMH,

It may be on the late side for the black morels. But I expect mid May to be near peak for the white morels. Keep in touch!

Glenn

·
Registered
100 Posts
S

Super excited to report my finds from today. I was headed up for my annual trout fishing trip and decided to stop and look for some black morels. This is the third year I’ve checked this spot. The first year I found one black 😂 so it kept me coming back. Last year nothing, and this year this is what I found in about an hour and a half of looking in the big tooth aspen. It’s the first time I’ve ever found them on the west side of the state, Benzie county, and the first time I’ve been able to find some that weren’t under ash trees up here. Needless to say I’ll be back, I’m up here til Tuesday. But up next I need to bring in some fresh trout. Good luck all

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 38209 S View attachment 38210 View attachment 38211 View attachment 38212
Super excited to report my finds from today. I was headed up for my annual trout fishing trip and decided to stop and look for some black morels. This is the third year I’ve checked this spot. The first year I found one black 😂 so it kept me coming back. Last year nothing, and this year this is what I found in about an hour and a half of looking in the big tooth aspen. It’s the first time I’ve ever found them on the west side of the state, Benzie county, and the first time I’ve been able to find some that weren’t under ash trees up here. Needless to say I’ll be back, I’m up here til Tuesday. But up next I need to bring in some fresh trout. Good luck all
My late uncle fished and hunted Morels in Benzie. He loved it there.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 38209 S View attachment 38210 View attachment 38211 View attachment 38212
My late uncle fished and hunted Morels in Benzie. He loved it there. As more ash die and fall up North I am trying to focus more on the big tooth Aspen but Its starting all over trying to find the right woods to hunt but it must be done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I totally agree. That’s why I was excited to have finally made that find...No place I’d rather wet a line then the Betsie and Platte rivers. Your uncle had it right in my opinion

·
Registered
116 Posts
Morels for you and Trout for the dog! (If he'll eat it) lol. Great find, congrats!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The trout is for me too!! Although my doggies would definitely eat it. Lol. They love venison as well

·
Registered
374 Posts
My late uncle fished and hunted Morels in Benzie. He loved it there. As more ash die and fall up North I am trying to focus more on the big tooth Aspen but Its starting all over trying to find the right woods to hunt but it must be done.
The ash are totally dead in one area I hunt in Kentucky and that die off has almost totally wiped out the morel fruiting associated with those ash trees. We can still find them around elm, poplar, hickory and sycamore but it has dramatically affected my small yellow/greys and big yellows. That being said, I have had my best #’s season ever here thanks to a 400 sq ft patch of that produced 607 half frees. 860 total morels for the season here so far but my patches are all but finished in KY. So don’t give up if you primarily hunted ash woods in the past. You’ll just need to adapt and find other woods that produce. Hoping to head up to N Michigan in a week or 2.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ash are totally dead in one area I hunt in Kentucky and that die off has almost totally wiped out the morel fruiting associated with those ash trees. We can still find them around elm, poplar, hickory and sycamore but it has dramatically affected my small yellow/greys and big yellows. That being said, I have had my best #’s season ever here thanks to a 400 sq ft patch of that produced 607 half frees. 860 total morels for the season here so far but my patches are all but finished in KY. So don’t give up if you primarily hunted ash woods in the past. You’ll just need to adapt and find other woods that produce. Hoping to head up to N Michigan in a week or 2.
I do not have many Tulip Poplar or Sycamore in my part of Indiana and our Ash areas up North have been decimated so I am trying to recall areas that I noticed in the past while up North that had big tooth aspen. I must adapt to changing conditions or perish. (Natures law)
My family will be up there starting on the 14th. Keep me posted

I

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glenn where can I buy some morels around Ionia county people that grow them or anything that
I'm not sure Ida. Sorry about that. I just pick them I don't sell them or buy them. I think they might sell them at the Mesick festival or the Boyne City festival. I have never attended one though.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts