Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@glen, The family will be up the weekend of the 15th. My Father was recently diagnosed with cancer and has very little energy but he is committed to carrying on the family tradition even though I don't think he will be able to hunt and it unfortunately may be his last trip up North. I hope the rest of us can go out and find him a bunch of Morels. Shroom on my friend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
@glen, The family will be up the weekend of the 15th. My Father was recently diagnosed with cancer and has very little energy but he is committed to carrying on the family tradition even though I don't think he will be able to hunt and it unfortunately may be his last trip up North. I hope the rest of us can go out and find him a bunch of Morels. Shroom on my friend.
Hi MMH,
The Black Morels are at a peak Mothers Day weekend in Northern Michigan. Which county do you go in Northern Michigan? The whites have not come up yet as far as I can tell in Cheboygan or Emmet counties. I think the should be just starting to fruit by the 15th. There should be some older black morels still left the weekend of the 15th but I would concentrate on northern slopes for them if possible and look for small greys on the places with the most sun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi MMH,
The Black Morels are at a peak Mothers Day weekend in Northern Michigan. Which county do you go in Northern Michigan? The whites have not come up yet as far as I can tell in Cheboygan or Emmet counties. I think the should be just starting to fruit by the 15th. There should be some older black morels still left the weekend of the 15th but I would concentrate on northern slopes for them if possible and look for small greys on the places with the most sun.
Glenn, thanks so much for the update. I'm heading up your way on the 21st. Hope you get a lot of rain next week!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anybody know what's going on at the Boyne Festival? I thought I might drive up but I don't know if there any any mushrooms in the woods or what's going on..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone been to Oscoda County lately? I've got large poplar stands I can go hunt but don't want to make the three hour trip if they're done in the poplars. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone been to Oscoda County lately? I've got large poplar stands I can go hunt but don't want to make the three hour trip if they're done in the poplars. Thanks everyone!
Hi A. Barry,

I hunt emmet and cheboygan counties but not Oscoda. But this last weekend (Mothers Day weekend) was very good for black morels in the poplars. You need to hurry though as the ones
on south and east facing slopes are nearing an end to good quality. North and west facing slopes should still be fresh enough the weekend of the 15th but I wouldn't wait any longer than that for
black morels.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi MMH,
I am taking a break from packing, will be leaving tomorrow A.M. for the Gaylord area. We hunt in a few different counties. You had some nice sized Blacks in your pics and hope we can find some.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am taking a break from packing, will be leaving tomorrow A.M. for the Gaylord area. We hunt in a few different counties. You had some nice sized Blacks in your pics and hope we can find some.

MMH,

I think you should find some big black morels. Please let us know how you do. The best of luck!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi A. Barry,

I hunt emmet and cheboygan counties but not Oscoda. But this last weekend (Mothers Day weekend) was very good for black morels in the poplars. You need to hurry though as the ones
on south and east facing slopes are nearing an end to good quality. North and west facing slopes should still be fresh enough the weekend of the 15th but I wouldn't wait any longer than that for
black morels.
Hey I really appreciate the information Glenn. I've hunted down here near the middle of the state for several years and have enjoyed some success, but I'm always looking for dead elms and occasionally find them around dead apple. Oscoda County, at least in the area that I'm familiar with, has a very different woods, there is no elm or apple, but there is large stands of poplar or aspen, some stand alone white pine and big tooth or quaking aspen, and one nice stand of white pine. Would you search for the greys in the same area as you do blacks in that type of forest, meaning mainly in the stand of poplars? Thank you Glenn,
Andy

·
Registered
172 Posts
In the Gaylord area and found nothing. Very dry, year round swamps are very low and areas that usually hold water are dry. Will hit some lowlands that we have not hunted for years and hope for the best. Shroom on my friends
Nothing as in Wade's nothing? Or a disappointing nothing? Thats too bad, hope you enjoyed the time with your father. It looks like the season is going to be a bad one up there. No rain in the forecast and highs near 80 next weekend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey I really appreciate the information Glenn. I've hunted down here near the middle of the state for several years and have enjoyed some success, but I'm always looking for dead elms and occasionally find them around dead apple. Oscoda County, at least in the area that I'm familiar with, has a very different woods, there is no elm or apple, but there is large stands of poplar or aspen, some stand alone white pine and big tooth or quaking aspen, and one nice stand of white pine. Would you search for the greys in the same area as you do blacks in that type of forest, meaning mainly in the stand of poplars? Thank you Glenn,
Andy
Hi A. Barry,

No I usually find greys around ash trees and sometimes apple trees or maple trees. 90% around ash. Some people say they find greys around white pine so I wouldn't rule it out.

Glenn

21 - 40 of 68 Posts