Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
In the Gaylord area and found nothing. Very dry, year round swamps are very low and areas that usually hold water are dry. Will hit some lowlands that we have not hunted for years and hope for the best. Shroom on my friends
Hi MMH,

I'm sorry to hear you couldn't fine morels. I had a bad mushroom weekend as well. I did pick 10 black morels and found about a half a dozen gone bad on friday but I could not find any areas that were not already picked over. That makes 5 weekends that I picked black morels and I am up to 400 for 2021. Saturday I went walleye fishing up near Sault Ste. Marie and we caught 14 keeper walleyes + 30 throwbacks, 4 large northern pike, and about half a dozen large perch. Went looking for white morels yesterday and found only about 10. I left them because they were not very large. I found them on south facing slopes where ground temps were 52-54 degrees. Every else ground temps were 48-50 degrees so I am in a lull right now. We need rain bad or the white morels could be near a bust this year in my spots.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi A. Barry,

No I usually find greys around ash trees and sometimes apple trees or maple trees. 90% around ash. Some people say they find greys around white pine so I wouldn't rule it out.

Glenn
Glenn, Did you have any luck with the greys this past weekend?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glenn, Did you have any luck with the greys this past weekend?
Hi Cwlake,

I only found a few greys on severely facing southeast slope and around ash trees. I didn't pick them. The ground temps on anything but south and east slopes or open fields was just a tad too cool I think. It will plenty warm enough after today and tomorrow's warm temps. You said you would be up the 21st. I'm expecting them to be up by then if we get some rain. It is extremely dry and if it
remains so then I'm not sure how devastating that will be. Some of the ones I found yesterday were dry to the touch. You should find some though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
In the Gaylord area and found nothing. Very dry, year round swamps are very low and areas that usually hold water are dry. Will hit some lowlands that we have not hunted for years and hope for the best. Shroom on my friends
Good luck @mmh yes rain is needed I think we will hunt Thursday.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I’m heading out to hunt rest of day up near Manistee. Not overly hopeful, but we shall see. How goes it for you?
We went to manistee early morning some gentlemen told us greys were up but we didnt hang out long desperately needed rain headed back north to hunt near our cabin and found greys and yellows will post pics later hoping for some rain. Good luck!

·
Registered
683 Posts

What we kept yesterday gave away 2lbs to an 80 yr old man n woman camping on state land they said they've came up to hunt for 50 yrs and they always used to give em to those who couldnt hunt but never got any back until yesterday 😊 found a lil over 5lbs today after the rain last night definitely think the seasons wounding up early because of hi temps but we are gonna give it a good hunt tomorrow friday we are going up to the UP for some kayaking so who knows
20210521_152634.jpg

·
Registered
801 Posts
View attachment 39846
What we kept yesterday gave away 2lbs to an 80 yr old man n woman camping on state land they said they've came up to hunt for 50 yrs and they always used to give em to those who couldnt hunt but never got any back until yesterday 😊 found a lil over 5lbs today after the rain last night definitely think the seasons wounding up early because of hi temps but we are gonna give it a good hunt tomorrow friday we are going up to the UP for some kayaking so who knows View attachment 39846
Good for you!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Back to reality Mon. with 6 lbs of yellows. Three days and 20 hrs. of hunting and sore legs for 6 lbs. We came home early because the hunting was so bad. but thats what you get with NO rain for the whole month until we got there. We still found fresh shrooms so they are still popping, just not many. All of our finds were on dead elm. We went to the hills one day and found very little. most came on flat land. Good luck to all the diehards still out there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
@Glenn hope all is well Jeremiah n I are going over to dickson county in the up today ever hear of places to hunt there?
Hows things going your way
Hi Elmgirl,

Sorry no, Dickenson county is quite a ways west. I live in Sault Ste. Marie so I do hunt Chippewa and Mackinac County. The blacks did well in both counties this well but they are done now I think. I have not seen a white morel yet but should be some out there. Hope you have time between kyak to get out and explore. Please keep us posted. Nice to hear from you.

Glenn

·
Registered
125 Posts
Back to reality Mon. with 6 lbs of yellows. Three days and 20 hrs. of hunting and sore legs for 6 lbs. We came home early because the hunting was so bad. but thats what you get with NO rain for the whole month until we got there. We still found fresh shrooms so they are still popping, just not many. All of our finds were on dead elm. We went to the hills one day and found very little. most came on flat land. Good luck to all the diehards still out there.
Hi CWLake,

I think you did pretty well. Do you find elms that are not in tall grass or swampy areas? That is something I have never experienced is finding around dead elm. I hunt just a little ways north of Gaylord and all the elms are either on private property or along highways or in swampy areas. I find my whites around ash and did no better than you this past weekend.

Thanks for your reports!

Glenn

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am posting pictures of my finds this past weekend. Picked about 7-8 pounds. I'm a bit in turmoil because some of my reliable places where I get the bulk of my white morels produced nothing. It seems impossible that I missed them because I have been monitoring ground temps every weekend since early April. But I found morels north of where my tried and true places are around Wolverine. All in all a decent weekend for me with the exception of Wolverine. I'm very disturbed and perplexed but I will check again friday because ground temps are just right for white morels to fruit so maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi CWLake,

I think you did pretty well. Do you find elms that are not in tall grass or swampy areas? That is something I have never experienced is finding around dead elm. I hunt just a little ways north of Gaylord and all the elms are either on private property or along highways or in swampy areas. I find my whites around ash and did no better than you this past weekend.

Thanks for your reports!

Glenn
Glenn, looks like you done a little better than us. We found a couple of woods that had a lot of dead elm. Mainly flat land with a lot of little humps throughout. There was a fair amount of old dead ash but they were too far gone. I see there is more rain coming this week so they may still pop but I think it's a little too late for Gaylord area. A lot of what we found was not super fresh. Good luck, if you get out again please let us know how you do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
cwlake , did you say Gaylord got rain while you were there? Any amount to speak of? I have been watching the rain meter site and not seeing rain. Not seeing anything for the next 8 days on the national forecast either. Was wanting to head up tonight but looks like it may be a bust.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts