Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
cwlake , did you say Gaylord got rain while you were there? Any amount to speak of? I have been watching the rain meter site and not seeing rain. Not seeing anything for the next 8 days on the national forecast either. Was wanting to head up tonight but looks like it may be a bust.
Hi OHIO,

Gaylord recorded light rain 5 out of the last 7 days for a total of .4 inches of precip. Of greater concern though is temps have been 80 - 86 degrees in 8 of the last 9 days.

Glenn

·
Registered
179 Posts
cwlake , did you say Gaylord got rain while you were there? Any amount to speak of? I have been watching the rain meter site and not seeing rain. Not seeing anything for the next 8 days on the national forecast either. Was wanting to head up tonight but looks like it may be a bust.
they got .03 last wednesday and .09 on friday or sat. but I don't think it was near enough to save the season. They have been picking yellows for the last two weeks and I think the season is winding down around that area .

·
Registered
683 Posts
Got rain but it was 86 n 90 not many bulk finds it see

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have attached some of the memorial weekend finds in Northern Michigan. The largest morel came from the upper penninsula. I found about a pound and a half total there. The numbers came from Emmet county. Picked about 2-3 pounds total there. Cheboygan county was a big bust for me this year. Very sad about that. I think I am done for the year. The morels in the northern lower penninsula are drying right out very fast. UP morels are a bit more fresh but the numbers are very low in my spots. In summary I picked morels in northern michigan from April 16 through May 31. That is on average about two-three weeks earlier than most years. The black morel season lasted 5 weeks and was decent numbers but not as good as the last two years. The white morels produced about half of what I on average would find. Cheboygan counties trends are very bad I think mostly due to the dying off of ash trees. I am hoping that I can find another tree or method to take the ash trees place. I would love to hear from other northern michigan hunters on that subject. Someone has posted unbelievable finds on facebook the past two years from Vanderbilt. I went exploring there but I couldn't find anything that looks better than Wolverine. Maybe maples are producing better. Hard to tell from sure from the pictures. This may be my last post for 2021 unless I get some responses. I love reading about all your finds. Special thanks for cwlake, elmgirl, morel seeker, MMH, shroomseeker, jims0001, kbart, Rick, and OHIO for your posts!

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have attached some of the memorial weekend finds in Northern Michigan. The largest morel came from the upper penninsula. I found about a pound and a half total there. The numbers came from Emmet county. Picked about 2-3 pounds total there. Cheboygan county was a big bust for me this year. Very sad about that. I think I am done for the year. The morels in the northern lower penninsula are drying right out very fast. UP morels are a bit more fresh but the numbers are very low in my spots. In summary I picked morels in northern michigan from April 16 through May 31. That is on average about two-three weeks earlier than most years. The black morel season lasted 5 weeks and was decent numbers but not as good as the last two years. The white morels produced about half of what I on average would find. Cheboygan counties trends are very bad I think mostly due to the dying off of ash trees. I am hoping that I can find another tree or method to take the ash trees place. I would love to hear from other northern michigan hunters on that subject. Someone has posted unbelievable finds on facebook the past two years from Vanderbilt. I went exploring there but I couldn't find anything that looks better than Wolverine. Maybe maples are producing better. Hard to tell from sure from the pictures. This may be my last post for 2021 unless I get some responses. I love reading about all your finds. Special thanks for cwlake, elmgirl, morel seeker, MMH, shroomseeker, jims0001, kbart, Rick, and OHIO for your posts!
thank youfor all of your posts Glenn. It really helps the southerners get a gage on where the season is up there. I've been told by a very reliable source that the whites are migrating towards the maples up there. But the area we hunted this year was 90% maple. there is no way to check every maple! We did find a couple around smaller dead maple. Until next year, be safe.

·
Registered
125 Posts
thank youfor all of your posts Glenn. It really helps the southerners get a gage on where the season is up there. I've been told by a very reliable source that the whites are migrating towards the maples up there. But the area we hunted this year was 90% maple. there is no way to check every maple! We did find a couple around smaller dead maple. Until next year, be safe.
CWLAKE,

Thank you for the tip on smaller dead maple. I've been checking live maples with little success as I have heard reports some have been fruiting. them. I was not looking for dead maples however.

Glenn

61 - 68 of 68 Posts