Northern MN boyz

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by Shroomtrooper 1, May 8, 2018.

1. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Heard a report of blacks coming up in the Walker area, anyone up there finding any.

Apocalypse and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Morel Enthusiast

Hmm interesting i Havn't heard anyone around here having any luck so far. Its still pretty cold dropping down to the 30s at night around here but i will go out scouting a bit today and let you know.
    I'm new to Morel hunting but been scouting some places around here to go and its a nice day for a hike. :)

3. Shroomtrooper 1

Apocalypse, anything happening yet?

1 person likes this.
  4. Apocalypse

No, But ill keep at it gonna do some hiking and fishing to weekend. Thursday i did happen to find around 30 lbs of chaga tho. :p

5. Shroomtrooper 1

nice, good luck

1 person likes this.
  6. Apocalypse

Next week looks good we are suppose to get rain friday night into saturday. :)

7. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Just moved to Hubbard from Iowa. Any tips are appreciated.

8. Apocalypse

I'm a newbie when it comes to morels and haven't had any luck. Reports are true I know several people last weekend who got into blacks.
    Only thing I can suggest is learn the trees scout land to go to and just start walking. I'm headed to where I've heard people are finding them but neither know the spots or where to begin so I'm just gonna do that. Explore. You in the PR area?

Dtails likes this.
  9. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Thank you so much! I am gonna go give it a try right now! Rain yesterday should have helped. I usually find yellows under deam elms, but no elms here. Yes, I live near Long Lake. What kinds of trees? Any pictures would be great!! I heard that you can find blacks under smaller Aspen/Poplar trees, the size of a popcan. Do the trees need to be dead? Are recent clearcuts productive? The deer ticks are out in full force so be careful!

10. Apocalypse

Being a newbie not sure I can answer those questions however the area I'm going today has lots of white oak, poplar and Aspen. I will report my findings if I do get any and take some pictures.

11. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

12. odguy

odguy Morel Enthusiast

I was out today in the PB and I found these. Not a ton out there and I didn't find very many small ones either. I hunt all over and I find them in all kinds of stuff. One spot I have is mainly old growth with heavy canopy cover so its open underneath with a mix of trees but mainly hardwoods. Another spot I have is similar but this morning I found them in adjacent popples about 6 inches in diameter. I tried 2 other spots that look similar but I have not walked through before and nothing was there. With all the logging in Hubbard county a spot you have might not be there long. I've lost a couple in the last few years. It didn't matter which facing slope I was on today, I found them on every one. If you can find a piece of ground that has burnt recently and still has tree cover you are golden, one of my best finds was on a piece that burnt and we picked the next year. We picked hundreds out of an area less then 2 acres.

Attached Files:

AIM, Apocalypse, prm and 1 other person like this.
  13. Apocalypse

Nice finds I've been all over and no luck maybe I'm blind I've been to PB chip woodtick and Deerfield yet to find much more than a few lbm and one spot with pheasant backs. Put on 35 miles so far on the Fitbit. Oh and so far 27 ticks.

Dtails, prm and (deleted member) like this.
  14. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Got any picks of unpicked morels? Do you have a preference as to trembling or big tooth aspen?

1 person likes this.
  15. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Too dry this year maybe?

1 person likes this.
  16. odguy

odguy Morel Enthusiast

I'd have to ask the other half what kind of trees they are. I don't have any pics and have been way to dang busy to get out again. We've have rain for the last 3 days here so the skeeters should be out in force. Maybe I can get out tomorrow for a few hours.

prm, Apocalypse and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

:rolleyes::)

Apocalypse likes this.
  18. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Okay, thank you! How hilly is the land? Do you find them in bunches? Woodticks are bad. The mosquitos are very, very thick. Plus, it is going to be hard to see any morel mushrooms now with all the vegetation. I only found 1 black morel so far, and that was a little over a week ago. I found it an old growth hardwood forest. It was fully grown, so any morels still out there in our area are probably toast due to 5 straight days of 90 degree heat. More recently I have been finding oyster mushrooms. They are really actually good eating, but are starting to get old and burnt too, with lots of bugs and worms. Even if I had known where to look for morels I don't think I would have found many, we just didn't get timely rain this year.

Dtails likes this.
  19. Detective Shroom

Detective Shroom Young Morel

Dry here in McLeod County too until last week. I have searched tried and true spots to very little avail. 20 woodticks and counting!

Dtails and prm like this.
  20. TH_FORAGER

TH_FORAGER Young Morel

I'm up in the arrowhead region, just curious what all you guys have been finding in the area? I usually find lobster, porcini, chantrelle, hedgehog, oyster and some corals. But I have never ran into a huge patch of anything. Any advice as to a good general location in lake/cook counties?