Northern MN boyz

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by Shroomtrooper 1, May 8, 2018.

1. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

Has anyone ever had luck in the Douglas fir bogs?? I haven't heard anything but gonna give it my best!!!

2. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Should we keep this thread going for 2019?

AIM, Apocalypse and (deleted member) like this.

3. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

4. morelmaniacmn

I will be in the BWCA May 29th. Could be a good time to hit the woods as well.

5. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

Hopefully we'll have some reports soon! I didn't post at all last year, but that's probably because there wasn't anything worth posting. We went from ice on the lakes to 90° in the course of a week it seemed like. This year should be a lot better but we'll see soon!

6. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Alright! Glad to see some life here!! Agreed, too cold, then too hot, plus there wasn't a lot of moisture. Hopefully we can keep ground temps between 50 and 60 longer this year. We had more snow cover this year too. I had a great year hunting other mushrooms, but I only found 1 black morel. This is only my second year hunting blacks. Any advice/help is appreciated. There is so much ground to cover up here, hopefully I can find a honey hole this year. I am glad to see others in this thread also having profile pictures of black morels :)

1 person likes this.
  7. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

Check my post history, in the past I've posted what seems to work for me in this area. Basically small to medium sized popular stands with lots of leaf litter are my better spots. I wouldn't worry too much if you weren't finding them last year, it was a very short season.

Apocalypse, prm and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

So when do you think they will start, anyone finding scarlet cups?

9. Swat1018

Swat1018 Morel Enthusiast

I'm going to be in southern ontario, ne of Fort Francis, fishing. Will be there the 25th of May for a week. Does anyone find Morels in that part of the world? I'm from Indiana.

1 person likes this.
  10. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

I was out briefly over the weekend, more looking for ramps and fiddleheads than morels. Fiddleheads weren't even breaking out of the soil yet so I didn't bother checking my morel spots. I have heard reports of one or two being found, but no real numbers or size to them yet. I think the weekend after fishing opener will be prime time in my area.

prm and (deleted member) like this.
  11. morelmaniacmn

Yeah it sure is a slow warm up more north. Might try and find some ramps this weekend though.

1 person likes this.
  12. Nrthwoodslegit

Nrthwoodslegit Morel Enthusiast

Found some along the Canada/mm border

prm and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Nrthwoodslegit

Nrthwoodslegit Morel Enthusiast

I'm in international falls mn and found some yesterday

2 people like this.
  14. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

I've checked several spots the last couple of evenings. So far it seems like we're still a bit early. I've picked about a dozen but they've all been a little on the small side. Looks like a bit of a cool-down coming up with lots of rain in the 10 day forecast, but no freezing temps and no 80° days so we might get a nice, long season this year!

prm likes this.
  15. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Yeah, agreed. I found 5 last night on the edge of a forest road, but they were pretty small.

16. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

I haven't posted much because I've been busy either picking or cleaning mushrooms! I've picked somewhere around 6 lbs in the last week. Haven't kept very good records this year. Not sure if the 88° we had yesterday ended the season or not, but I was finding fresh black morels the day before those temps hit. Probably more were dried out than were fresh though. Lots of yellows this year too, which was odd.

1 person likes this.
  17. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Hi! Thanks for the update! Where are you finding the yellows? Under aspen?

18. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

Sorry, a little late here, but I was finding all my yellows under red pine this year.

19. prm

prm Morel Enthusiast

Cool! Good to know! I found some yellows under cedars this year for the first time. The ground had a lot of moss. Were the red pine trees mature? Near water?

20. iland99

iland99 Morel Enthusiast

Mature, and most were in a lower-lying area.