Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the woods looking like in NW Illinois? I will be in Illinois in a couple weeks was hoping to find some sponges!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in Northeastern IL and tiny greys have been up for a few days, I couldn't believe it! As always, they come up through thick mossy patches, but usually not till April 15th or so. I am really worried that we may get screwed this year as the weather is going to be really cold for the next 10 days or more. Good luck out west but you guys should give it a look a bit sooner than the end of the month.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whiteside Co. here ...

I say it year after year ... Watch for Dandelions to begin blooming in middle of yards .

NOT along buildings or sidewalks , as this is a false indicator due to this area holding more heat .

I've studied this for years now , and from what I've learned , In this area of the state , is that the morel season is typically from the time the Dandelions bloom , until the time they go to seed .

Depending on how quickly it heats up , usually about a 3 - 5 week time frame .

Feel free to look back on my previous postings from years back on the Northwestern illinois forum .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Every year I get in a big hurry to try to get out there and every year is the same thing, I curse the weather and end up doing alright. The best indicator I have for the start of the season is when I find my first one!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi everyone! If you're just getting started and need help finding your first morels, check out this super informative video on getting started. This is my passion and hope to help others discover their passion for mushrooms as well!!! Good luck! Here is the link to my video: http://youtu.be/ismIK7GhmP8

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
” mushroom_mentor ” the good news is nobody ever died from eating the wrong tree. On the other hand proper mushroom identification is vitally important. The saying goes ” All wild mushrooms are edible, some only ONCE.” There are a couple real easy trick’s to identifying Elm bark/trees.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi guys! My partner and I are passionate about mushrooms, and are trying to spread the love. We've created a youtube channel for people who want to get started finding morels and for people who are into watching mushroom videos. Check out our second video and let us know what you think. Please subscribe so we can keep doing this. It would be great to be able to do this as a daily vlog channel so the support is necessary for that to happen. Thanks! https://youtu.be/dUxufP0AHqY

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dandelions are starting to become more noticeable in yards now . After this weekends 70* temps and a little more rain , it'll be game on .

I'm sure there are a few out now in some areas that get a little more heat during the day , But why risk stepping all over future mushrooms or mycellium and reduce potential fruiting ...

On another note .... Those wanting to find the Yellows , I have been having great luck the past few years typically around Mothers Day weekend .

Hmmmm.... Ever wonder why they call it the Motherload ??? Coincidence ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Give it another week or so yet .

I went out kinda looking over my usual area, and we are atleast a week or so off from any fruiting. Didn't see any real life yet in the timbers .

Usually you get that distinctive smell in the woods of " Fungus " and Decay , but not even close .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I've been in the woods dragging downed logs out. Got moss and some grass going but not much. I agree with a week or more

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is everyone's thoughts on the timing of the season ? Is it a little early this year for northwest illinois ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are going to swell up this week. Been finding plenty of primordia the last 5 days, all in the 3mm-9mm range. We have over 600 gps pins dropped throughout Jo Daviess County hopeful for a great season!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts