Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

281 - 300 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in Lake County IN. and have never found any blacks here. I found some years ago at Turkey Run State Park. I also hunt in N.W. Illinois near Galena and have never found any blacks there either. They sure are tasty.
I have two woods I find blacks North of Ft Wayne-but not very many--mostly morel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well - no messages yet, but fingers crossed and the offer still stands!

If I had to guess, it's because we just don't have many old growth stands of poplars. I've only had one reliable spot for blacks (in Northern L.P. of Michigan) and I can't seem to find a similar habitat here. It may also be the effect from the lake. Seems like ground temps around the shore line seem to keep us a week behind everyone else.

I took a brief walk at a nature preserve in Battle Creek, MI on Sunday afternoon. Just scouting, checked north-facing slope with extra focus where the right kind of trees were, but nothing.

I've heard they are just starting to pop south of us. I saw a video from Central Indiana of a very nice spread under a tree, prime time down there right now.

One thing is for sure - this weather is perfect, and I'm expecting a larger and longer season for our area. I'll probably wait until at least next weekend before checking my go-to spots though, since I don't like to harvest when they are small. As always, will depend on weather between now and then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice grays! I checked my spot in Lake County this morning and found nothing. May apples are only about 2 inches high, it's still too early. But you never know unless you get out and look, and I spotted some new dead elm that I will be checking later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let me know if you were able to get all the sand out - and how. I've always avoided ones that look sandy because i can't stand biting sand!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Let me know if you were able to get all the sand out - and how. I've always avoided ones that look sandy because i can't stand biting sand!
I think I'm in trouble buddy.

Rinsed em 6 times and still silty.

Only one way to know for sure but everyone is saying the same thing.
Not good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We went to my two early spots in Porter Co. yesterday and found nothing. We're gonna check'em again Thursday, but then we're going out of town for a week. Don't pick'em all while we're gone!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Found 11 today on the railroad tracks.
Still not seeing a ton of other fungus but it won't be long now.

View attachment 645 View attachment 646
I did the same thing today - about the same size too - glad i only had my lunch hour to do it in, so i can leave the rest to grow.

I predict this weekend will be the beginning of a great year for NWI, as long as we get some decent rain this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mmm, I've been concentrating on my early spots and didn't even think to check anywhere else. Then, I go to Lake County today and find 11 grays in one 20' area?! My first attempt at uploading a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
I guess I should says that all the morels
I've found this season were in sun-drenched
open areas and not the dappled woods
where they are commonly found in.

At least not yet anyhow.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Does anyone know if NWI is particularly poor
in general for BLACK MORELS?

Looking at Matherly's the latest progression map,
I noticed a large vacant area for NWI for some reason.

At first I surmised "lake effect" as a potential issue,
but then that would also hamper similar lake shore areas,
but doesn't seem to...

Benton Harbor, Muskegon, Petoskey, MI for example.

I have a hypothesis to offer up to poke holes in:

POLLUTION? Air, light, noise? All of the above?

Could pollution of some kind cause this aversion for BLACK morels?

Thoughts?

281 - 300 of 339 Posts