Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

321 - 339 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone,
I just got into mushrooming last summer and this is my first morel season. Does anyone have advice about hunting in NWI? Like what kinds of trees, terrain, etc. you've had success with? I'm in Porter County but I like to drive to check out new spots. I've been trying to do some scouting but I'm still pretty inexperienced, not good at identifying trees yet--I hardly know where to start!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hello everyone,
I just got into mushrooming last summer and this is my first morel season. Does anyone have advice about hunting in NWI? Like what kinds of trees, terrain, etc. you've had success with? I'm in Porter County but I like to drive to check out new spots. I've been trying to do some scouting but I'm still pretty inexperienced, not good at identifying trees yet--I hardly know where to start!
@ShroomerDan I tried to reply to your question but it keeps saying I'm spam. I bet this post goes through tho.

I'm gonna try and private message you my reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rain is a welcome sight! I already found 2 black morels and I wasn't really even looking. I am hoping the warm weather this weekend will get them really popping! Last year was so pitiful! Found a few but not even enough for a snack!!
That’s great! I am for Chesterton Indiana and hope this weekend yields great results

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hello everyone,
I would guess that Indiana has a Forestry Department or Division in their Department of Natural Resources. I live in NE OH, and learned a TON looking at our Division of Forestry website. I was introduced to this about 10 years ago at my fish and game club. A couple of members clue me in that there were morels on the property. When I asked where, you can imagine what the answers were! "Get your lazy butt out there and find them yourself!"

Hunted my brains out that first season and found nothing! Then one of those member gave me another clue after asking if I had checked the apple trees. I said that I had not and he said, "Aw dude! You gotta check the apple trees!" The next year I found a few. And I've kept building from there. I'm no expert, just an enthusiast.

Even if you don't know where to start, start somewhere! You can learn something every time out.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would guess that Indiana has a Forestry Department or Division in their Department of Natural Resources. I live in NE OH, and learned a TON looking at our Division of Forestry website. I was introduced to this about 10 years ago at my fish and game club. A couple of members clue me in that there were morels on the property. When I asked where, you can imagine what the answers were! "Get your lazy butt out there and find them yourself!"

Hunted my brains out that first season and found nothing! Then one of those member gave me another clue after asking if I had checked the apple trees. I said that I had not and he said, "Aw dude! You gotta check the apple trees!" The next year I found a few. And I've kept building from there. I'm no expert, just an enthusiast.

Even if you don't know where to start, start somewhere! You can learn something every time out.
That's great advice, son.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've been rabidly hunting the past few weeks and have had some good success. I've gotten proficient at ID-ing elm trees which has helped a lot. Being that this is my first season, I have some questions for you veterans.
This has been a weird spring: overall very cold and it has only just started warming up. Around a month ago there was lots of rain and some warm weather. After that, I found one dream elm that I harvested probably 10-15 pounds of big yellows off of over a week or so. I found some other good elms nearby with handfuls of morels but nothing like that one. After this stretch we had a bout of cold weather with overnight temps going down to the high 20s a couple times.
For those of you with lots of experience, do you know how this might affect the rest of the season? Will it stunt morels that haven't popped yet, or just delay them? I haven't been able to find much else since that first good week, just randoms here and there. There's two other areas I've been hunting that have elm trees all over the place, and I've only found 4 or 5 lone morels in random places. It seems like they should be all over in those areas. It's already mid May and we're now getting lots of rain and weather in the 70s. I'm hoping there will be a second flush coming soon! Every time I'm out hunting I have so may questions pop up--I wish I could remember them now.
How have other NWI hunters fared this spring?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks, I'll check that out. I've been rabidly hunting the past few weeks and have had some good success. I've gotten proficient at ID-ing elm trees which has helped a lot. Being that this is my first season, I have some questions for you veterans.
This has been a weird spring: overall very cold and it has only just started warming up. Around a month ago there was lots of rain and some warm weather. After that, I found one dream elm that I harvested probably 10-15 pounds of big yellows off of over a week or so. I found some other good elms nearby with handfuls of morels but nothing like that one. After this stretch we had a bout of cold weather with overnight temps going down to the high 20s a couple times.
For those of you with lots of experience, do you know how this might affect the rest of the season? Will it stunt morels that haven't popped yet, or just delay them? I haven't been able to find much else since that first good week, just randoms here and there. There's two other areas I've been hunting that have elm trees all over the place, and I've only found 4 or 5 lone morels in random places. It seems like they should be all over in those areas. It's already mid May and we're now getting lots of rain and weather in the 70s. I'm hoping there will be a second flush coming soon! Every time I'm out hunting I have so may questions pop up--I wish I could remember them now.
How have other NWI hunters fared this spring?
Cold weather can be (and was this season) a nightmare for morels. Especially in the 20's.
Cool weather is ok for a while, but cold weather is the death knell.

I've seen nothing but bad news for this season after that polar lobe pushed
down from Canada that week. I saw one old timer report it was his worst year in 45 years hunting.

It SW MI, close to NWI, it burned the tops of all the morels that were growing and, unfortunately,
completely shut down new growth. I didn't think it would, but in my experience it totally
closed down the season. Big time bummer.

So, it's a tough start for a rookie. But I think you did good with that one elm.
Protect that tree like its your child and go back next year!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cold weather can be (and was this season) a nightmare for morels. Especially in the 20's.
Cool weather is ok for a while, but cold weather is the death knell.

I've seen nothing but bad news for this season after that polar lobe pushed
down from Canada that week. I saw one old timer report it was his worst year in 45 years hunting.

It SW MI, close to NWI, it burned the tops of all the morels that were growing and, unfortunately,
completely shut down new growth. I didn't think it would, but in my experience it totally
closed down the season. Big time bummer.

So, it's a tough start for a rookie. But I think you did good with that one elm.
Protect that tree like its your child and go back next year!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Darn, I was hoping that’s not the case. I guess I’m happy I found some at all. Time to move on to other mushrooms then!
I’m in Michigan right now and went hunting for chaga the last couple days, did pretty well! Not much else growing though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Darn, I was hoping that’s not the case. I guess I’m happy I found some at all. Time to move on to other mushrooms then!
I’m in Michigan right now and went hunting for chaga the last couple days, did pretty well! Not much else growing though.
How far north for the Chaga? Approximations are all I'm looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was gonna say that's where the tension zone is
and where I see the birch trees start to really increase.

Thanks buddy!
That’s really interesting. I had to look up tension zone to find out what that is. I’ve been on the hunt for reishi lately and I found a map that shows the presence of eastern hemlock trees through eastern Ohio and up into northern Michigan. I wonder if that’s the same line. Going back up to Michigan soon, hope to find some.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That’s really interesting. I had to look up tension zone to find out what that is. I’ve been on the hunt for reishi lately and I found a map that shows the presence of eastern hemlock trees through eastern Ohio and up into northern Michigan. I wonder if that’s the same line. Going back up to Michigan soon, hope to find some.
I'd be interested in seeing that hemlock map. I haven't found Reishi yet but I really want to.

Last year I found my first Lion's Mane in Traverse City. I was pumped!

321 - 339 of 339 Posts