Official 2019 Georgia Finds - Post here.

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pastorj, Feb 20, 2019.

1. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

Greetings fellow Southerners, now that there has been a documented find in our neighboring state of Alabama, it is only a matter of days before Georgia is on the map as well.

Let's post our finds here so next year it's easy to go back and track the seasons' progression.

My money is on @stripernut to make the first find.:)

3 people like this.
  2. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

20150505_085936.jpg Good Morning @pastorj and All Yall down there in Georgia.
    Good Call for Yall to Communicate with Each Other to Organize One Main Thread
    Early and Traditionally like this, Each Year
    Thank You from Wade

Yalls Weather down in Augusta Looks Really good for the next 5 days..
    We are All Watching and Myself I'm very Excited Wishing I was There now..
    as you've read @finderoftheshrooms says his broken Wrists will not keep him out of the Woods...So Looks like We will be Coming down and getting in the woods with you there..
    Give it Everything you have in ya Yall !!
    see ya soon

3. wade

@stripernut has anyone gotten a ground Temperature reading yet 20160429_110243.jpg picture from 2017

2 people like this.
  4. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

Can we maybe keep the posts to pics of morels or other wild edibles? Keep the selfies to yourself lol

2 people like this.
  5. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

I am gearing up and getting all stealth like, that's how you have to be to be a shroomer right? lol

1 person likes this.
  6. wade

@DIYDi. .... l do have fun with it like that..
    and i love making my Own Homemade Camouflage Clothing and Gear...
    i enjoy Sharing Morels there's plenty for Everyone. We are all in it for the Love of the Hunt.. We should never lose our mind and get Greedy,
    it's Better to be Friends... and Share
    Still ; this being true.. I Hunt Stealth, Full Camo...so if anyone else passes near by they cant so Easily & Plainly see me..and then Run over into my Secret Spots ,
    but I would go ahead and be Friendly if they did see me and come over. 20160325_173206.jpg 20170409_085303-1.jpg pics from 2017

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  7. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

I love your attitude. Haha, I'd die if I came up on you unknowingly!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    2 people like this.
  8. Edmond

Edmond Young Morel

Hello All,

I’m new to this forum and have never hunted for morels. Does anyone live up near Dawsonville GA and willing to let me tag along with you on a hunt?

Edmond

DIYDi and (deleted member) like this.
  9. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

Sorry, not I. But I could recommend, if you are on fb to join Cave Springs Mushrooms Club. You might find someone by reaching out there. They will be having their 3rd annual Mushroom Festival Oct 12-13th, with some major shroomer knowledge, the likes of the Bessettes (author of many mushroom books), Alan Rockefeller, a mycologist from CA, Anthoni Goodman, President of the Alabama Mushroom Society just to name a few. Also, Adam Haritan on fb under Learn Your Land has some really informative videos, so good in fact that you could become experienced just by following him on youtube. Hope you find something useful in there. Best of luck to you, if you want to learn, you will!

2 people like this.
  10. wade

@Edmond. hello.....Wade here....
    That's a big request Edmond..
    "mind if I tag along" You ask...
    Dawsonville ... Hhhhmmmm...
    I think I've Hunted around there....
    let me go look on Satalite View for a while and I may have a spot I can direct you to..until then. Man it's not that hard to find Morels...just pic an isolated patch of woods...and Enjoy slowly Walking around looking...

11. Edmond

Edmond Young Morel

Thanks Wade and DIYDi for the info. Morels have a very unique look to them and Im pretty confident on identifying them correctly. However I've read (on the internet) that I shouldn't go mushroom picking based only on pictures I've seen on the internet. Other than looking for the basic shape and look of a morel, is there anything else I should be concerned with? Do we also have morel look alike mushrooms like Gyromitra esculenta and Verpa spp in this area? Thanks for your help.

1 person likes this.
  12. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

I’ve been hunting Morels in the Deep South for almost 15 years and have never found a false morel.

I think you are safe, but it never hurts to understand the basic differences between the false and true morels.

13. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

Edmond, try to find someone to confirm. At the very least on a mushroom ID forum. It isn't worth the risk. Remember the saying; There are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters but, there are NO OLD BOLD mushroom hunters.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    2 people like this.
  14. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

Been hunting in Alabama for morels 8 years now. I found 1 false morel a few years back near Decatur, Ala. We used to see some every year hunting in Illinois.

DIYDi likes this.
  15. gbmillerman

gbmillerman Morel Connoisseur

Try the Indiana board, it’s like Facebook, I turn to this site because I can’t stand Facebook, but it’s getting just as bad!

16. stripernut

stripernut Morel Enthusiast

yes. Last Monday 56-57F. Don't think it has gone up much with the weather we've had. We'll be checking the honey hole out tomorrow, Monday 25th, cross your fingers!

1 person likes this.
  17. wade

@stripernut Thank You for the Great Report..Man they should be up...No I say they are up somewhere,..
    Very Exciting . You will have some Soon.. I hope today !! Enjoy !!

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

What types of trees do y'all find them on down south? Up here in N. Mo its pretty much elm, cottonwood,ash, and maple. Or do you just hunt general areas? Just curious.

19. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

So I have kept a careful record of my seasons going back to 2013 (mostly on a Google+ Morel Mushroom Hunting Community I started - which will sadly be deleted next month as Google shuts down that service). My first find in 2016 was on March 4th, in 2017 February 21st, and last year February 22nd. it is safe to say, we are running behind this year by at least two weeks.

Here is a video I recorded one year ago today and as you will see the mushrooms in the area had been up much longer than 2 days.

Sadly, I found out on Friday, I no longer have access to that property, which is a real bummer. I picked at least 10-12 pounds in that spot a week later last year.

I have other spots close by that run about a week behind that one. I believe based on the weather report we should see our first mushroom in the Augusta area by next Saturday.

While scouting today I saw a lot of evidence that we have had some flooding from our recent rains. This concerns me as I have had well-producing spots disappear and never produce again after a flood.

My dad always says they will come up when they're ready. I'm interested to see how @stripernut does tomorrow. Based on data going further back (2013-14) it's possible we could be waiting another 2.5 weeks before the first find. Either way, I'll be ready!

20. wade

@pastorj and Everyone..
    hey pastorj that is some Excellent Reporting very very interesting..
    and isn't the Mystery just part of what we love about Our Hunt.. We are so glad to have made Friends with you and Others down there this Year.. Thankful really.
    and Man I want it sooner than later but
    I think you are right next week looks like it. I see what your are saying..
    and the weather I see yall having
    should have them up and growing right now..so next weekend they will be Big enough to find and Wow if it stays warm you will Durly have um up up up..
    we are all about to find out as we watch and see it happen. gonna be so very interesting.. we'll try to come see yall
    Thank You